Everyone has an iPad

I almost always felt comfortable using my iPhone on colectivos in the northern parts of the city (i.e. the good neighborhoods that foreigners usually stick to). I also carried a MacBook in my backpack without trouble. On the subte or downtown walking on Calle Florida I exercised a bit more caution and only took out my iPhone on occasion.

I will admit, though, that this was only after a few weeks of becoming accustomed to different neighborhoods/bus routes/etc.

Buenos Aires is not New York, but those who can afford iPhones here use them (albeit a bit cautiously). Living near the Hipodromo, it was uncommon to grab coffee or walk around and NOT see an iPhone and iPad. Of course, chance of robbery matters less when you can afford a replacement...

I agree that you should be careful, but having an iPhone and iPad is absolutely no problem.

Usually I have my headphones in, not just to listen to music, but because otherwise I don't hear my iphone ring with all the street noise. So I only take my phone out when I need to change the music or when i need to text. Yes, I text when I am out on the streets. It depends on which barrio I am in, and in which street. I would never take it out in microcentro, I am very careful on busy streets like Santa Fe. I wouldn't take it out at night. And I always hold it tightly with 2 hands s if it might fly away if I don't. If I do have to answer the phone I always take it at the side of the houses, to make sure motochorros can't take it. It seems exaggerated, but is is just a question of habit. Many people have iPhones (more have blackberries) but you don't see them on the streets. You see them when people call or text in restaurants, in tennis or other clubs, at private parties. They won't put them on the table in restaurants like they do in NY.

I have my iPad in my bag most of the time, I would never take it out on the streets or in the subway. (and as said, there is no space to take it out in the subway). But I do when I am in a bar or a restaurant. It is very common to see people with laptops and iPads in restaurants. Even when the door is not locked and they even sit in front of windows. They don't have old outdated laptops. Many have brand new fashionable MacBooks or notebooks. They all just put in in a bag or backpack when they leave the restaurant.
I had more people reacting on my iPad when I was in a restaurant in Europe then when I go out here.

We do have a very cheap phone with a prepaid card, which my son uses when he goes out. Just in case. Not only because we are afraid his phone would get stolen, but because he would probably defend himself and refuse to give it. And get hurt...

if you look like a tourist you are considered an easy victim. A friend of mine had her iPhone stolen in the subway, she was talking english with a friend, had a starbucks cup in one hand and her iPhone in her other. A very easy target.

Yes, everybody here has a reading device and that is one of the main reasons Borders is out of business. I am addicted to my IPad :-((( Personally, after not being in BA for 4 months, it is hard to think again about all of the theft and to get tired of watching my back. I have lived here in the
US everywhere but I was always able, and I do now, to pick up the phone without fear. Other than that, the rest of the country issues are found quite,livable.

ghost said:
Here's the best part...........take your ipad, iphone, crack-berry and laptop and put them in your room and go out side and "Get A Life" Connect with the real world and stuff the virtual crap. You'll be amazed at what you do without an electronic leash.

Well, ghost..modern concepts of respect and decency dictate that one refrain from being condescending. I was asking a question about petty crime. I fail to see how my affinity for technology correlates with my social habits. :p

USMCAcosta said:
Well, ghost..modern concepts of respect and decency dictate that one refrain from being condescending. I was asking a question about petty crime. I fail to see how my affinity for technology correlates with my social habits. :p
Your affinity for technology is no greater than mine. And, as you can see from most of the posts here your "affinity" will be modified. Either by you [if you are smart] or by those who wish to share your affinity for free. Your choice.

I've had an iPhone ever since I got to BA 3.5 years ago (not the same one), and although I suppose I am a little careful with it, if I need to take it out and use it I take it out and use it. I text while walking down the street but I do grab it tightly, sometimes with two hands if I feel like I'm being a little too conspicuous, but the point is I still use it pretty much everywhere. I always kick myself when I make comments like this but: I haven't had any problems.

What I DO notice is that when I go to Europe or the US, I laugh at myself for how incredibly paranoid I am about my iPhone and any gadgets I may be using, which I think shows that I have actually gotten into a habit of being quite protective of my things and it's become something I don't even realize I do. It's a strange sensation... it almost feels like I'm more paranoid about losing my stuff back home in California, but really it's just that, maybe, the lack of necessity is particularly noticeable.... does that make sense?

Anyway, be weary but don't be so paranoid that it effects how you enjoy your day. I love my iphone and I would be very sad if I lost it, but it is just an iPhone.

Lastly: I think it's just as likely (or more-so) that I will absentmindedly leave my iPhone somewhere than that it will be stolen.

I don't have a phone at all so I don't need to worry about this.

I do know at least one guy who carries his laptop and other valuables in a crappy looking plastic bag so no one suspects he has something of value in there. And he has not had a problem. I can imagine that others probably do so too. When I do need to travel, I do pretty much the same thing - I never use a proper laptop bag as that is just advertising what you've got inside (but do protect it with other padding of course).

I have seen plenty of people using phones and blackberries on the street and on the trains, and in a lot of neighbourhoods aside from the higher ends (which I very rarely go to). I do use my husband's occasionally on the street, but using two hands and with an eye out (although his is also really old too, and not much of a target).

But I think someone else said it well, when they said something like enjoy NOT using your tech all the time. There is life outside of the screen (says I whose computer is so close to my bed I barely need to raise myself up to turn it on in the morning!) But it IS true! :eek:)

I just wish I could read on my ipad on the bus without feeling like I'm making myself a target.

Back