Everyone has an iPad

PhilipDT said:
I just wish I could read on my ipad on the bus without feeling like I'm making myself a target.
You could if the local government had not set the value of these items so artificially high. Now, if we could the government to increase the value of dog shit then the streets would be clean.

I travel in the Sarmiento line, so almost everybody is middle-low class, and all the young people is sending messages in their whatever they carry, also Blackberries. But no I-Pads. That thing was DESIGNED to show everybody that you have one and they don´t. It begs to be stolen. I imagine that some expats are angry that they cannot use it outside since the purpose of the I-pad is to be seen using one :)

Anyway, got some stares when I use my Kindle in a bus full of poor workers at 3 in the morning, but when I use in the train nobody looks at me. What are they going to do, jump from the train windows? The thing is small, in black and white, and seems cheaper that their own new phones.

marksoc said:
I travel in the Sarmiento line, so almost everybody is middle-low class, and all the young people is sending messages in their whatever they carry, also Blackberries. But no I-Pads. That thing was DESIGNED to show everybody that you have one and they don´t. It begs to be stolen. I imagine that some expats are angry that they cannot use it outside since the purpose of the I-pad is to be seen using one :)

Anyway, got some stares when I use my Kindle in a bus full of poor workers at 3 in the morning, but when I use in the train nobody looks at me. What are they going to do, jump from the train windows? The thing is small, in black and white, and seems cheaper that their own new phones.

No, they steal from outside the train when it stops at the stations. I saw this on the Sarmiento once. The train had stopped at a station and some guy on the platform reached through the window and tried to grab an mp3 (not even an ipod) from a woman sitting beside the window on the train.

marksoc said:

Honestly tablets are just another functional piece of technology. They are readily available all over the western world and no one cares if you have one. I use a Galaxy Tab 10.1. I can assure you that I didn't buy it so that anyone could see me use it. I'm pretty sure no one cares about who sees them using a tablet. We're not talking about a nice car or big house. We're talking about a $500 piece of metal or plastic.

Most people here never will never have a nice car or a big house and $500 is a month's wages for some. It's a different world...

CarverFan said:
Most people here never will never have a nice car or a big house and $500 is a month's wages for some. It's a different world...

I understand that but that's why I referred to the western world. Most people here don't care about showing off something as trivial as an iPad. An iPad would cost a middle class American about 4 or 5 days work at most. But then again the cost of living is dramatically higher and cheap technology does very little to offset that.

Well, since living here I don't go out wearing watch or jewelry or carrying a bag. I've even started to think twice about wearing a 14 carat wedding ring!!

CarverFan said:
Well, since living here I don't go out wearing watch or jewelry or carrying a bag. I've even started to think twice about wearing a 14 carat wedding ring!!

I definitely won't be using my tablet on the subte or the buses. I don't wear jewelry but I will be sure to not carry anything too valuable. I just want to go and have a good time and live among the local people. I already speak Spanish fluently and will be staying there indefinitely so I hope it wont be too hard to meet people.

In my view, flashing an IPad in Buenos Aires is about like wearing a sign, "stupid American needs assaulted, please help." Do not care how bad ass you think you are, not going to win the fight. They will stalk you for hours and knick your iPad In a heartbeat. Keep it simple, copy of passport, carry no more $$$ than you are willing to loose. Absolutely no credit cards.

Back