Exchange Rate Robbery or Reasonable?

perry said:
All this talk about reporting people to Afip sounds like a communist state where you dob in your neighbours for the smallest infraction.

If somebody insists that you should follow your obligations to him precisely and to the fullest extent, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that he is also supposed to follow his own obligations, including his obligation to pay taxes as any law-obedient citizen?

henryb said:
If somebody insists that you should follow your obligations to him precisely and to the fullest extent, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that he is also supposed to follow his own obligations, including his obligation to pay taxes as any law-obedient citizen?

There is something called legitimacion activa, it is the legal power to do something. You haven t it.

You can start a case and then it will be a nightmare because as a witnesses you have the duty to show up at Court anytime they feel like or they send police to enforce the judge s order.

Bajo_cero2 said:
as a witnesses you have the duty to show up at Court anytime they feel likec

It may be a good way to practice your spanish :). Besides, doesn't this apply to the other side as well?

perry said:
Mini if the dollar was the one that was devalued and was say 1.50 to the peso would you then complain?

If I live here & earn peso the exchange rate is not relevant to me. In fact, I'm one the muppets who just left our saving here, in pesos. Everyone said change money the minute you get it. I didn't and look where that got me. I don't earn dollars so the exchange rate of 1.5 won't help me in anyway.

But if I'm no longer living here then it is important. I'm not willing to leave it. At that point, no. I'm not willing to wait & see.

-------

Anyway, thanks everyone for your thoughts, comments, opinions, etc. But you are not going to change my opinion which I think I'm still entitled to. :p And anyway, I don't have a chip on my shoulder it's just how I feel which won't change anything at all. :)

When I leave Argentina will still continue to tick away exactly as it did before.

My understanding is that in Argentina if *the conditions of a contract become "unfair"; DEFAULT is justified and legal. Guess I have it all wrong.

Hard to keep a straight face when the terms "Argentina, responsibility, contracts and rule of law" are all used in the same breath. Forgive me.

dennisr said:
My understanding is that in Argentina if *the conditions of a contract become "unfair"; DEFAULT is justified and legal. Guess I have it all wrong.

Hard to keep a straight face when the terms "Argentina, responsibility, contracts and rule of law" are all used in the same breath. Forgive me.

And that my friend is exactly my point! Landlords insisting on black market dollar rates are not exactly playing by the law. Or are they?

Travel agencies are doing the exact same thing, and of course it's illegal.
Difference is, travel agents claim they have to pay dollars for the services they get for you. Your landlady lives in Argentina, buys with pesos in the supermarket, uses pesos to pay for her taxes, and the list goes on and on. She doesn't have the right to ask for black market dollar rate. Don't let her do it.

dennisr said:

I think it is not about being "unfair", because it means different things for different people. The situation has developed, where for some people there is no legal way to get dollars in this country. In this situation there is no legal way to enforce against their interests existing contracts, that are valued in dollars. The government can not say: "We don't care where you get the dollars, you can kill your neighbor and get his dollars if you want to". Nope. In a similar way, they can not say: "Go and get dollars on the black market". For existing contracts to be enforceable, the government must allow some legal way to exchange pesos to dollars for the parties involved. The exchange rate does not have to be fair, though.

Actually landlords are only insisting that the terms of the contract be met. It is the tenant who is asking the landlord to disregard the contract and pay in Pesos. But I like how you are trying hard to spin things.

mini said:
And that my friend is exactly my point! Landlords insisting on black market dollar rates are not exactly playing by the law. Or are they?

TheBlackHand said:
Actually landlords are only insisting that the terms of the contract be met. It is the tenant who is asking the landlord to disregard the contract and pay in Pesos. But I like how you are trying hard to spin things.

Right. And I didn't have problem with it when it was possible to buy dollars openly. If you can buy dollars legally, great. But most people can not. Now it is not possible thus pushing people to the illegal black market or insisting they pay the black market rate. That is not fair. And if they accept that you pay in pesos they should accept the official rate. And that is my problem with it.

Back