Exchanging money while visiting Buenos Aires

Thank you. I planned to bring my iPhone and iPad. I will rethink. I already booked an airBNB in Palermo.
It's fine to bring them because they are very useful but just don't display those items in public places, public transportation, or in the streets

I wouldn't say never use ATMs, they can be a backup if you run out of cash. You get the official rate, obviously, and at Link ATMs you pay around 600 pesos per transaction (Banelco are probably charging twice that), with a limit of 5000 or 6000 pesos per transaction, plus of course whatever your bank charges to use a foreign ATM. In an emergency it's better than nothing, it's worth while making sure you can get money that way so that it's there when you need it.

If you are staying in a hotel, ask the front desk if they can help you exchange pesos. They probably know a reliable cueva within a couple of blocks. If an AirBNB, ask the host. Its usually pretty easy to find an individual who you are already dealing with who will change some dollars for you. Any argentines with any cash would rather have it in dollars than pesos. We sometimes get the shoe store on the corner to change dollars for us. (A father and son we have known since 2007) And for any purchase at a smaller store, you can always ask if they will accept payment in dollars- many will happily do so.

I will give you my time tested method.

A) Go to calle Florida in downtown BA
B) Go to Galeria Boston, Florida 142
C) Go downstairs a few steps and PRESTO!
D) You will see two small shops,one on each side
E) They will take your 100 USD bills with large face at top price

Go home and enjoy your stay

I quit using Xoom three years ago, and perhaps they have improved since then, but my experiences were uniformly negative. They demanded all sorts of paperwork, including bank statements, and they imposed a 3-day delay. With WU, I can do the transaction on my PC and then walk to the office and it's ready.

I like PayPal, but do not care for Xoom.

Really? I used it throughout 2020 and never had to show more than my USPP when picking up at Giros More and even used it to pay my rent via transfers from my US bank to my ARG landlord's account.

Really? I used it throughout 2020 and never had to show more than my USPP when picking up at Giros More and even used it to pay my rent via transfers from my US bank to my ARG landlord's account.
Well then, in that case they have obviously improved. They never asked you for a bank statement?

Bring some dollars. Maybe 1.000 USD. Check this website when you want to exchange:
Check the compra price. You should be getting the +/-1 peso around that price. Plenty of places to exchange. Just make sure you don't carry too much cash at once.
At the same time, use WU as suggested. It easier perhaps.
My advice is to "diversity", with both cash/blue and WU.

Bring some dollars. Maybe 1.000 USD. Check this website when you want to exchange:
Check the compra price. You should be getting the +/-1 peso around that price. Plenty of places to exchange. Just make sure you don't carry too much cash at once.
At the same time, use WU as suggested. It easier perhaps.
My advice is to "diversity", with both cash/blue and WU.

Good advice, but with current volatility, I'd politely suggest that the variation may be more than just 1 peso plus/minus. Given that the current value of the peso is barely half a US penny, it hardly matters.

Well then, in that case they have obviously improved. They never asked you for a bank statement?

No, but I already had my US bank info linked to my Paypal. Maybe that made a difference.

Back