Expat AFIP taxes

Officially/legally: at the very minimum a tax evader, violator of MULC regulations, and guilty in theory of a form of money laundering.

In practical terms, it depends. How big are you going to be living here? How much money do you plan on spending? This is why I always
encourage people considering doing this to speak with an Argentine accountant. There are tens of thousands of Argentines doing what you're
describing (minus WU, most use a digital cave) and they don't get caught, so it's doable, but it requires being comfortable with a certain level of
risk that only you can decide.
Even if you can technically claim that you're being supported by a family member? :p

For new permanent residents, you're required to start paying taxes once you have lived for a 12-month period in Argentina, right?

Also, do you have a trusted Argentine accountant you can recommend? 🙏

huh? are you mixing up the foreign earned income exclusion?
Isn't that what this is? He's in Argentina earning money which he is taxed on. The foreign earned income exclusion is intended to prevent that income from being double taxed. What am I missing?

Even if you can technically claim that you're being supported by a family member? :p

For new permanent residents, you're required to start paying taxes once you have lived for a 12-month period in Argentina, right?

Also, do you have a trusted Argentine accountant you can recommend? 🙏
After 12 months you become a tax resident is my understanding yes, and I would say that provided your family member is sending up to $2,559/month you're not likely going to raise any red flags. Why this amount? It's the average SSA check these days, equal to roughly $1,000,000 ARS/month and none of the retirees here have had any problems that I'm aware, and that's a lot of money to live with here.

I don't have an accountant to recommend unfortunately, but there are many who will more than happily take your money to do some creative accounting, Argentina's poorer on paper than in reality because everyone from INDEC to the local verduleria is cooking the books.

Isn't that what this is? He's in Argentina earning money which he is taxed on. The foreign earned income exclusion is intended to prevent that income from being double taxed. What am I missing?
i understood axel's post to mean he works for a US company and gets paid in the US. but lives in argentina. that doesn't fall under foreign earned income, he just get paid in the US and pays taxes in the US.

if he were earning money in argentina, that would potentially fall under the FEI exclusion

i understood axel's post to mean he works for a US company and gets paid in the US. but lives in argentina. that doesn't fall under foreign earned income, he just get paid in the US and pays taxes in the US.

If you are physically present in this country while actually performing your work, the IRS considers it to be a foreign earned income. It is the location where the activity is being carried out that matters.

Last edited:
If you are physically present in this country while actually performing your work, the IRS considers it to be a foreign earned income. It is the location where the activity is being carried out that matters.
Also, remember that if you're married, you can possibly double your foreign income tax exclusion if you set everything up properly with paperwork (and/or if you can arrange it with your employer to have your spouse earning income as well). Also, make sure to stay in that location at least 330 days per year.

This is a fabulous benefit that I took advantage of for many years.

FEIE is the starter. Figuring out what withholding taxes paid in the US are creditable in Argentina is the main course :D

Back