Expat Atm/foreign Transaction Fees In Argentina

I appreciate all the advice, Scwab sounds like the way to go. Saludos

I think you'll find that they have an excellent website. I can even transfer funds to Bank of America. You'll also be pleased with their telephone people.

Today I got 2400p for $157.84. I think this comes out to $14.55 after considering the rebate of the atm fee.
This is not near the unofficial rate of 16+.

I will try again next week and see the rate is better. You should check too.

https://www.smallworldfs.com/

Small world has the best rate of all (Xoom, RIA, etc) but I have never had success getting it to actually go through in Argentina, they always end up blocking the transfer. Anyone else have any success with it? You can either send to a bank, or pick up at an office.

https://www.smallworldfs.com/

Small world has the best rate of all (Xoom, RIA, etc) but I have never had success getting it to actually go through in Argentina, they always end up blocking the transfer. Anyone else have any success with it? You can either send to a bank, or pick up at an office.

I have done both with Small World from the UK - Cash pick up at Argenper and direct transfer to Mrs GlasgowJohn s account at Santander Rio. With the bank gtransfer there is initial anti money laundering paperwork.

Otherwise no problems.

I think you'll find that they have an excellent website. I can even transfer funds to Bank of America. You'll also be pleased with their telephone people.

Today I got 2400p for $157.84. I think this comes out to $14.55 after considering the rebate of the atm fee.
This is not near the unofficial rate of 16+.

I will try again next week and see the rate is better. You should check too.

If you subtract US$6 aprox. for the local atm fee you get US$151.84 ..! so 2400/151.84 = $ 15.8 pesos per US$--- The Exchange rate

Been with Schwab since 2004 tons of withdrawals, no problems.

Schwab has the best customer service reps I've ever encountered. They treat everyone like they had a million dollars in their accounts, even if they average less than a thousand dollars a month.

Schwab has the best customer service reps I've ever encountered. They treat everyone like they had a million dollars in their accounts, even if they average less than a thousand dollars a month.

I agree with you, Steve. I always compliment them on their service because they are truly amazing and supportive. The only two remarks I made to them (using the suggestion features on their website) are:
  1. when you receive transactions from abroad, they do not state the sender details and the original amount in the originating currency (but you can email their international wires team or call it Mon-Fri to find out), and
  2. that they don't email you when you receive money on your account, so you have to keep checking it multiple times to see if you received any funds.

Hey Admin,

How about cancelling this snowboarder hijacking troll.

T/

Are you joking? No troll. Just trying to save money and keep my hard earned cash out of the evil bankers grubby greedy little hands (like Trumps?)

Cheers!

I just went on a ride with my Schwab card and I wasn't able to get any money out of ATMs.

I submit today a travel notice to Schwab and it was confirmed a few hours later. I go to Santander, I write 5,000 ARS and it says it is too much. I try 3,000, still too much. I'll go with 2,400 and now it is an amount not allowed, so I hit the highest suggested amount (2,000) and it says I cannot used my card in that ATM.

So I head to BBVA and same scene, Banco Ciudad, Banco la Nación, Banco Galicia.. none working.

I tried withdrawal from checking, from savings, as a credit card, but nothing.

I enter the pin, I confirm I accept the 96 ARS charge and then.... boom! No way to get 'em paper bills out of the machine! How so?!

Any ATM working with Schwab between Plaza Italia and Scalabrini Ortiz subway stops?

Serafina....[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] I'll go with 2,400 and now it is an amount not allowed, so I hit the highest suggested amount (2,000) and it says I cannot used my card in that ATM.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Probably no bills left at any of the ATM's you hit so far. Your best bet, if you need pesos tonight, is to locate an ICBC bank branch and try their ATM's. The maximum allowed per withdrawal continues to be $2400 pesos. Good luck![/background]

So they won't simply put a notice to say "we've run out of bill"? they'll leave me hanging there without knowing if it is them or is it me?

Back