Expat Choices For 2015: The Worst Is Yet To Come

Which candidate would cut inflation? (please explain how)

• Massa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scioli (in spite pf past performance)

• Carrió

• Alfonsín

• Cobos

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Randazzo (in spite pf past performance)

• Binner

• Altamira

• Boudou

• Solanas

• Macri (in spite of all evidence)

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Other (please 'splain)

• Menem (Menem lo hizo!)

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

EdRooney

Registered
Hey inflation fans!

For the expats here that are fiscal conservatives (in my experience, the vocal majority here), the panorama for significant change has become strikingly less promising this week.

CABA Mayor Mauricio Macri-- perhaps the 2015 candidate most different from kichnerismo-- said this week that he will not pay up on loans he had sold to meet BA's growing current account deficit[sup]1[/sup]. This is in spite of the fact that he has had the largest revenues in the history of Cap Fed.

There should be little doubt that this is a preview of what we might see in a future Presidente Macri:[sup]2[/sup] profligate spending at a rate even beyond the current crew, and with the same reticence towards "fiscal responsibility".

With this in mind, if you are a fiscal conservative, who remains in the field for you to vote for? Keeping in mind, that the most effective way to cut inflation would be to cut public expenditures, which possible candidate could possibly implement a fiscal policy that would effectively cut Argentina's excessive inflation?

Vote and 'splain!

1. In this case its not vulture funds that are owed, but rather employees, but that's neither here nor there.
2. IMHO the only case where this would happen would be if nobody votes but CABA, but whatever.

I voted "Other". My 'splanation' is nothing more than "none of the above".

I don't know enough about some of the possible candidates mentioned above to know if there's anyone who would actually be concerned about fiscal responsibility. But I doubt it very much. And if there was someone, I doubt the machinery and the citizenry would allow it anyway. Recipe for calls for early resignation...

I voted "Other". My 'splanation' is nothing more than "none of the above".

I don't know enough about some of the possible candidates mentioned above to know if there's anyone who would actually be concerned about fiscal responsibility. But I doubt it very much. And if there was someone, I doubt the machinery and the citizenry would allow it anyway. Recipe for calls for early resignation...

"Calls for early resignation" sounds overly civilized. The reality would be more like strikes galore, saqueos, anarchy etc.

I like the small print:

[sub]1. In this case its not vulture funds that are owed, but rather employees, but that's neither here nor there.[/sub]

That's a comical leap of reasoning. In fact reasoning is being generous, I suspect you are being a bit of a wag here. You are, aren't you?

No hay plata. No está el dinero. La ciudad no puede financiarse a través de emisión de dinero o por el gobierno nacional.

So, he won't borrow more money to pay a bonus which is not a contractural obligation, but a payment based on what is left over in the city budget. Surely you should be telling us about fiscal responsibility in the face of union pressure :lol:

PS. I'd rather Macri borrowed long term funds from the international market and re-engaged with the world than isolated then bankrupted us. Debt has become a bogeyman, this must be paradise for the preachers of isolationism and protectionism.

The reality is that well planned and strategically sourced debt is essential for public works, of which Herr Macri has attempted to execute, Metrobus, Microcentro tart up etc.

Has he borrowed well? ¨Póssibly not, jury is out, has he spent well, B- there too I would say.

Right now, he is probably the least worst. Given that the options are more of the same, more of the same only with security cameras and no currency restrictions and macri...i'd probably go with him.

I will not reveal my vote except to say that it was ironic (almost equally applicable to all the candidates).

Massa worries me.
We all thought he was the second coming in the mid terms, but he has no idea how to explain the nitty gritty.

Macri of course, to upset The left Wingers that spread Fears that a non populist candidate would finish all the populist measures of la Decada Ganada! Same speech as Dilma used in her campaign. The Message is if THEY govern it may get Worse...? :D :D :D

Macri of course, to upset The left Wingers that spread Fears that a non populist candidate would finish all the populist measures of la Decada Ganada! Same speech as Dilma used in her campaign. The Message is if THEY govern it may get Worse...? :D :D :D

You misspelled década engañada...

I might have a real vote in the 2015. No idea WTH to do! Not that my wee vote will matter much. As a friend said, we'd need 5 million "me's" to have an impact. This electorate has some clear masochistic tendencies.

Back