Expat cleaning person?

CarverFan said:
But what will the pay be in three months time if it's 25 now?? Another 30% more, so 33 pesos an hour and then by the end of the year it will be over 40 and no one will have a maid and they will be out of work.
So is it really possible to pay 25 an hour today (in the thread two months ago, Perry et al said they were paying 20 and now he's paying 25).

You should be paying them to keep up with inflation which is 20%+. So theoretically, yes, you should be giving them a 20%-25% raise each year. So that would be about 3-4 pesos a year. If you were paying 15 last year, 18-19 would be fair. 25 pesos/hour is exceptional and to hold on to good staff. 20 is a decent and fair wage.

If things are getting more expensive for expats don't you think things are getting more expensive for them? 15 pesos an hour does not buy the same amount of goods it did a year ago. Okay on that note I'm out....I think I've beat this horse pretty good.

Well, I was paying 17 in Feb so I don't consider myself a "rata". Things are getting more expensive for expats, you're right, but a lot of expats aren't earning more money so will just cut their cleaner's hours to cope with the increase. It's something I've had to do in the past and I'm sure I'm not alone...

Back