Expat observations 2011

I'm always amazed when people recite their list of what's more and less expensive. I often wonder when they've last been in the places they call cheaper.....

Cheap apartments in BA are definitely cheaper than their equals in NYC, Toronto or SF. Even good housing is cheaper. But the delta becomes much smaller with your desire to live well here. Anything imported, any ethnic foods, any plan to live beyond 500 sq. Ft., to buy decent clothing or a basic car.....these things make life very expensive here.

So for $800/mo your tiny BA apt is much better than anything you can get for that in NY
or SF, but you have to eat pizza and empanadas to keep your cost of living low. If you want a decent mattress, sheets, towels....a decent TV, DVD player, laptop....life suddenly becomes very expensive.

I think people are still coming here planning to make a living teaching English. It's crazy!

jb5 said:
I'm always amazed when people recite their list of what's more and less expensive. I often wonder when they've last been in the places they call cheaper.....

Cheap apartments in BA are definitely cheaper than their equals in NYC, Toronto or SF. Even good housing is cheaper. But the delta becomes much smaller with your desire to live well here. Anything imported, any ethnic foods, any plan to live beyond 500 sq. Ft., to buy decent clothing or a basic car.....these things make life very expensive here.

So for $800/mo your tiny BA apt is much better than anything you can get for that in NY
or SF, but you have to eat pizza and empanadas to keep your cost of living low. If you want a decent mattress, sheets, towels....a decent TV, DVD player, laptop....life suddenly becomes very expensive.

I think people are still coming here planning to make a living teaching English. It's crazy!

yes, i just got here and while ive learned that rent is quite cheaper here compared to NYC, LA, etc, the cost of living is higher relative to wage

Back