Expat Philanthropy-What do you do?

When I grow up I want to be an eccentric philanthropist.

Currently, the only philanthropic (sort of) thing I do is lend money through Kiva. I'd like to help out more though. So thanks for the reminder.

I must admit, I would have hoped and expected more out of my fellow expatriots. It's never too late, we can all make a difference and help others less fortunate.

Yeah, I'd like to do more. Paying taxes at least contributes to the greater good (or so the relentless barrage of adverts tells me), outside of that though, I don't really know where to start.

On a really simple level... has anyone seen any charity shops where you can donate old shoes, clothes, books, electronics etc? Haven't seen any anywhere.

You could give them to let's say your portero or so. They useally know someone who would use them, or they might use them themselves

Salvation army?

Moxon said:
We're funding an NGO that helps to repatriate smug Californians.

You have to wonder what these smug Californians were doing with regard to "philanthropy" in their homeland before moving to Argentina. I find it strange how people who never did anything before use "philanthropy" as a means of making social contacts, business contacts, feel important, get on the right party list, etc. etc.

PR machine.

I save up my tapitas for the hospital Garaghan, I actually think it's a good idea and it does me no harm

Recoleta Carolina said:
I find it strange how people who never did anything before use "philanthropy" as a means of making social contacts, business contacts, feel important, get on the right party list, etc. etc.

Not strange at all, RC: that's what philanthropy is all about. That's why an idle and rich (though fictitious) bum like Bruce Wayne is a "philanthropist." The idle rich who have no social function are always termed "philanthropists" by a fawning media, which means attending charity balls and dances. "Philanthropy" means providing band-aids for gaping wounds usually caused by the very class the "philanthropist" comes from. The whole idea of "philanthropy" is to defuse social tension and antagonism by showing that, well, the privileged care.

Recoleta Carolina said:
You have to wonder what these smug Californians were doing with regard to "philanthropy" in their homeland before moving to Argentina. I find it strange how people who never did anything before use "philanthropy" as a means of making social contacts, business contacts, feel important, get on the right party list, etc. etc.

Thanks for that. Any doubt I had that you were even a decent human being has been erased.

My purpose for posting was to hopefully gain assistance and have a joint cause where we together can help those less fortunate. That's why I mentioned the new challenges with customs and the new school project.

But you have managed to turn this into another personal attack on me. I am a citizen on this earth, whose goal is to achieve my highest potential and help the world be a better place.

Do you really think I spend my free time teaching people how to the use the internet and microsoft word so someone will put me a VIP list?

You questioning my motives is absurd, offensive and totally out of line. I have spent almost my whole adult life giving to those less fortunate and aiding them with tools so they can succeed.

I will stop short of personally attacking you so A.) I lead by example B.) This thread will continue so we can arrange something positive to help and C.) So everyone can read your attack on me, the second in 3 days.

Back