Expat Philanthropy-What do you do?

Just ignore her, some people feel the need to judge people they barely know.

jp said:
Just ignore her, some people feel the need to judge people they barely know.

I have been and I totally agree, but this last personal attack is too out of line to ignore.

I started a thread about helping others less fortunate, and am questioned about my intentions.

Wow, the replies here seem more like something you'd hear sitting in a high school cafeteria. Catty and totally inappropriate. FYI - No one cares to read through the bickering and name calling to get to the useful information on this forum.

Kudos to soulskier for opening discussion on the topic and hoping to generate interest in something he is obviously passionate about. If you're not interested in the topic, don't post in the thread.

Thanks for your support Bianca!

So, getting back on topic, does anyone have any contacts or angles to work to avoid customs for used clothes? We have a couple boxes of winter clothes sitting in California waiting to be shipped. Winter has set in and it would be awesome to these clothes to some families pronto.

jp said:
Yeah, I'd like to do more. Paying taxes at least contributes to the greater good (or so the relentless barrage of adverts tells me), outside of that though, I don't really know where to start.

On a really simple level... has anyone seen any charity shops where you can donate old shoes, clothes, books, electronics etc? Haven't seen any anywhere.

If you are looking for a place to donate old clothes, shoes, electronics, or anything.....to those who really need it the most, there is a serious organization called CARITAS. This organization is extremely reputable. It won´t get you any recognition. You donate anonymously but you can feel confident that nothing you donate will go to waste.

Reactions: jp
Great news! We had a clothing drive this weekend and over 2000 pesos were generated for the school.

More info here!

Again, if anyone has a hookup with aduanas, we have a lot more gear to be sent, me avisas.

My form of community service/organizing/etc. in Argentina is to bring great pleasure and liberation to dozens of nubile Spanish-Italian girls who long for me :D

hyperborean said:
My form of community service/organizing/etc. in Argentina is to bring great pleasure and liberation to dozens of nubile Spanish-Italian girls who long for me :D

Is that your version of a "Stimulus Package"?

I too would be interested in learning what types of charity, volunteer, philanthropic or other service initiatives Ex-Pats are involved in, or have been involved in.

At home in San Diego, I worked with many non-profit groups and sat (and continue to sit) on the board of a major 501c3. My colleagues and I have always focused on networking among non-profit volunteers and professionals -- not to attend fancy galas, but to pool our resources, discuss best practices, and learn from each other's failures and successes. (I will add, however, that many of my colleagues, while perhaps wealthy, are also genuinely committed to the organizations and causes for which they work. Their presence and activism make huge differences for under-served populations.)

In Argentina, I have set-up internship programs wherein my U.S. undergraduate students can hold summer internships with local non-governmental organizations in Buenos Aires. Perhaps from a "cynical" perspective, this work only pads the resumes of pampered U.S. students. On the other hand, these U.S. students learn an amazing amount about Argentina, politics, and poverty, while struggling charities receive some much-needed, free manpower in order to implement their projects.

It is always important to ask hard, ethical questions about the class and power imbalances between givers and receivers of charity. That does not mean, however, that such philanthropic actions are to be broadly disparaged or dismissed.

Thanks soulskier for sharing (and sorry I have no customs "hook-ups" for you!)

I welcome hearing some stories from other ex-pats.

Respectfully,
Jenn

Back