Expat shuffle ...

I would not risk “visa runs” unless you absolutely need a current visa (my registro civil stated that my passport needed to be up to date to get married, but this was provincia, 6 years ago, and different administration so your mileage may vary.)

It's not like you're fooling anyone of not being a permanent tourist if they decide to look at your passport.

Am just about to go the legit route and get residency. My reluctance has been the need to have money sent to a bank account here in dollars.

Only once in my 7 years here doing visa runs (although I go to USA annually) did migrations threaten me with all the visa stamps going from Tigre to Carmela. I told him as a retiree, I have no set plans and a lot of friends here in Argentina. I said if you want to deny me entry, I'd return to my house in Ft Lauderdale and lay on the beach all day; he stamped my passport. Never had a problem though I know I could; the alternative for me is....not so terrible.

Am just about to go the legit route and get residency. My reluctance has been the need to have money sent to a bank account here in dollars.

I've had residency in Argentina for eleven and a half years and an Argentine bank account in both dollars and pesos for about ten years. I have never had dollars sent ( by mself or anyone else) from the US in dollars, Since I started using XOOM in 2012 all transfers have been converted to pesos outside of Argentina and those pesos have been deposited into my Argentine bank account. (which is day to open after obtaining residency and not a perquisite for it).

I've had residency in Argentina for eleven and a half years and an Argentine bank account in both dollars and pesos for about ten years. I have never had dollars sent ( by mself or anyone else) from the US in dollars, Since I started using XOOM in 2012 all transfers have been converted to pesos outside of Argentina and those pesos have been deposited into my Argentine bank account. (which is day to open after obtaining residency and not a perquisite for it).

The word "day" would be "easy" and it should be easy to open an Argentine bank account after obtaining residency unless there is a "problem" proving the origin of the funds.

That's how my judge interpreted it - as unbroken physical presence. It was the reason they denied mine, because I visited the US for a few weeks. In other words, if your parent dies, you go to the funeral in the US, too bad - start your two years over. I'm not saying all judges here would rule like this but mine did.

When did it happen? Could you also tell us if you had any kind of residency at that time?

Did they accept your application and make you wait for a year before denying?

When I go to USA and return to Argentina, I always travel with enough dollars to last until my next trip. I tested my debit card here in BS AS and for 2,000 pesos it cost me, in US dollars, about $113 just a month ago. Way too expensive but if necessary, good for the time.

Just my two cents (and I'm not advocating for any particular lawyer), but the DIY route did not work for us in getting residency in Argentina. Get professional help. It's a minefield out there and life is too short.

Just my two cents (and I'm not advocating for any particular lawyer), but the DIY route did not work for us in getting residency in Argentina. Get professional help. It's a minefield out there and life is too short.
Thank you for the advice and suggestion. I agree as my limited experience with migrations has been ....like dealing with a DMV in the states.

Can anyone tell me what (pardon my Spanish) "penales antecedents" are? I've been told to have local police run one on me but am a little uncomfortable with police doing anything for me here.

Can anyone tell me what (pardon my Spanish) "penales antecedents" are? I've been told to have local police run one on me but am a little uncomfortable with police doing anything for me here.

The Certificado de Antecedentes Penales (CAP) is a document in electronic format issued by the National Registry of Recidivism that certifies that you do not have criminal records or pending charges in Argentina.

It's necessary to get the report before you can make an online turno to submit your paperwork to migraciones. You won't be dealing with the police you see in the street and you won't have to go the a police station to get the report.

You can see what you need to bring (passport, photocopy, receipt for payment, completed form) and how to get your turno here: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/solicitar-certificado-de-antecedentes-penales

Last edited:
I know a woman (originally from Uruguay) who has lived in Argentina for about twenty years. She has helped a number of members of this group (including me) apply for as well as renew their temporary residency. She is not a lawyer and she does not cost nearly as much, either. Send me a PM if you would like her contact info.

Back