Expats not happy, why stay?

I'd just say it was anyone living away from their country of origin for an extended period of time.

Alzinho said:
Hang on...your profile says you live in Bariloche?
Is the skiing not up to much then?

The skiing in these parts isn't our style, we like to get rad.

Our first ltwo years, we owned a farm in southern Mendoza to be close to Las Leñas, which does have awesome terrain. However, we missed actually living in the mountains which brought us to Patagonia.

BTW, our friends gave us 18 months as the over/under.

Thanks for all the kind words.

jp said:
I'd just say it was anyone living away from their country of origin for an extended period of time.

Exactly. No motivations is required to be considered an expat or not. Well, except for those who are expats involuntarily. In that case I imagine there was a reason for their exile.

SaraSara said:
Interesting article in - where else - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_migration

That's what we are.

So, SaraSara, what are you? What were you? Let's start there. ;)

I lived many years in Washington as an Argentine expat, and now live in Uruguay as an Argentine expat, and in Argentina as a repat.

At this point, I have no idea what I am, but feel comfortable as an outsider.

How about you, Mini? Where is the place you call home? :)

SaraSara said:
I lived many years in Washington as an Argentine expat, and now live in Uruguay as an Argentine expat, and in Argentina as a repat.

At this point, I have no idea what I am, but feel comfortable as an outsider.

How about you, Mini? Where is the place you call home? :)

So, you didn't consider yourself an immigrant? How long were you in Washington?

Home is where we hang our hats! I used to joke that were migrant workers until last year when I read that article you posted. That pretty much defines us. We are existential migrants. :) Definitely!

AN interesting point, and I wonder what you make of me - I'm not even sure myself.
I was born in Ireland, moved to England as a child with my parents, educated in England, and worked there for 20 years after Uni... However, I was always brought up as being Irish, and in 2001, I moved "Home" to Ireland.... Was I an ex pat in England, and then a repat when I moved back to Ireland...... I never considered the point to be honest.

Now I am here in Argentina. So far I have been here 6 months, and will be here until October 2012 at the very least... Does that make me an ex pat here? I think it does, but it doesn't fit into the definitions above...

I don't know if I will be here forever. My partner is Argentine, so I may stay after my term is up, or maybe we will head back to Ireland and she will become an ex-pat in Ireland.... We won't decide that one until early 2012, I wonder what we are?

FWIW - and this is nothing official - but most corporate "expat" assignments that I see usually are 2 years in length.

From my point of view - in a 3 year time period - 90% of the "expat" friends I've made have left. I'm still here, 2 others I know and everyone else I was friends with (say 20 people roughly) have all returned home. With the exception of the 3 of us, none have lasted more than 2 years.

ETA-Soulskier, wishing you all the best of luck with your move!

Here's my answer to the thread title:
I came on a 5 day visit to Buenos Aires......3 years ago.
I didn't even like it very much, but......I met a girl.
It lasted less than a year, but......she got pregnant.
I'm now stuck here, probably for the rest of my life, because I want to be part of my son's life.

soulskier said:
Actually to Alaska, though Tahoe will always be home for us both.

I was doing the math, from 41 South to 60 North is 101 degrees.

Suerte a ti tambien, SS
Soul:
I guess it's time for a change. I saw your ad on another site, good luck with the sale.
You have made a contribution to Argentina and her economy and to the many who have enjoyed your facility. I guess, at the end of the day, it's all about making memories.
101 degrees of latitude is no small hop. May you find Rad skiing at it's best.
Adios ole friend.
[oh yeah, and thanks for the tip on the Schwab Card]

Back