Expats not happy, why stay?

You are also contributing to crime and exploitation and giving a corrupt and ineffectual government legitimacy by paying your taxes and the plethora of charges they levy.

If you are rich you can use legitimate methods to avoid paying taxes and charges, you can circumvent them or work within the law to avoid paying them. If you aren't rich you can't afford the lawyers and accountants required to take advantage of these channels, so you can pay your taxes or pay bribes and avoid paying official fees.

Personally I pay my taxes and haven't knowingly paid any bribes, although its hard to tell whether a charge is going into someone's pocket or the coffers of the state.

This forum is for all points of view, experiences etc. - both positive and negative; that's what a forum/community is about.

Also, this is also great place for people to let of some steam.

If you want to try and balance the forum up with some positives - go right ahead, you will be burning the midnight oil though!

what surprised me the most was that I expected Argentines to be more opened and friendly but its incredible hard to speak on english with someone, and a conversation (on english) is mission imposible. They are good things tought, but by now I can say I am pretty much struggling with all..

Petra said:
what surprised me the most was that I expected Argentines to be more opened and friendly but its incredible hard to speak on english with someone, and a conversation (on english) is mission imposible. They are good things tought, but by now I can say I am pretty much struggling with all..
Maybe you should try to learn and speak the Argentines language (?) It is kind of rude to expect everybody to speak English in a non English speaking country and then conclude that people are not friendly or open when most likely they cannot understand you... dunno just a thought...

Nikad's post hits the nail on the head! When I first arrived three years ago (after living in Mexico for five years) I spoke Mexican Spanish, but didn't speak (or understand) Argentine castellano very well. The first Argentine I met was the "porteno" who managed the temporary apartment I was renting. His general manner was vastly different from the Mexicians I knew and had done business with. I didn't think he was rude, but he was far more abrupt that I expected. He reminded me of some of the Italians I observed in Rome.

In the past three years I have learned a lot more castellano here and the more I speak it like the locals (including accents on the correct syllables), the "nicer" the locals are to me...primarily because they understand me better and I am showing some respect for the fact that their language is the language here.

What's most surprising to me is how often some of them begin to speak to me in English after a few sentences in castellano. Most of the locals who know English like to show that they can speak it, though often telling me that my castellano is better than their English. It's a nice complement to say the least.

They are usually surprised (yet pleased) when I tell them that I prefer living in Argentina to the USA. I'm sure they think I am naive about what has happened here (economically and politically) and may happen again in the future. They are also surprised to know that I have studied Argentine history and know about it's past difficulties. I wonder how many expats know what tomorrow's "holiday" is all about.

Deep political discussions aside, just learning what to say here in the appropriate circumstances can make a big difference in how you get treated here. For example, if you say perdon when trying to pass someone in the street, you won't be nearly as happy with the result than if you say permiso. There have been two expats who have posted about this in forum posts, insisting that perdon means the same thing. It doesn't. Not here. If Argentines don't get out of your way when you say "perdon" it doesn't mean they are rude. It only means you used the wrong word.

If you want to be happy here, you have to learn how to live here. It pays to learn what to say and when to say it...at least a little. If you refuse to learn (and adapt) you are destined for unhappiness in Argentina.

syngirl said:
... I think a lot of expats that come to Argentina come for the wrong reasons. So many expats come down with expectations of being able to live a fantasy life. ... Despite having moved to a foreign country and culture, a lot of expats come to Buenos Aires wanting what they want, and they want it to be like home, but for a third of the price. But BA and Argentina are not like your home country. They have their own culture and rituals and expats either adapt and love it, or they end up going home. ...
Jeeez, syngirl, I pressed the "Thanks" button and then it disappered, so I couldn't thank you the 14 more times I wished to.

You hit the nail on it's head, and very hard.

Not home is not like home and never will be.

What is actually different then where you come from?

My life is the same, I am just in a different place

HotYogaTeacher said:
... I am happy to answer. We spent some time in BsAs before we moved here, only 10 days, ... We were told that ALL the people who live in this city are gorgeous, thin, dressed to the nines ALL the time. We were told that they were very sophisticated, well traveled and educated and the EVERYONE spoke english. ... We believed people, realtors, people who had purchased property that we met, when they said you could buy a nice home here for under $200K. We could not. ... We believed them when they said that you could buy a dinner out at "the finest restaurants in the city with wine and tip for two people" for under $50. You can not....
This should to be a warning to others.

If you are told that "EVERYONE spoke english", "that ALL the people who live in this city are gorgeous ...", "the finest restaurants in the city with wine and tip for two people for under $50"

- and are unable to realize on a 10 days visit on site, that this is not true, please stay at home - please! - 'cause then you are so naive and unobservant, that you are not fit to live anywhere else than in your home environment, realize it and sit tight.

Back