Extending My Stay

My husband and I had similar concerns about safety and standing out when we came here after reading things online beforehand- but this city isn't really any different from any other major city. You just have to be aware of your surroundings. We have not had any issues in the nearly 2 months we've been here and are really loving it.

You should check out a Mundo Lingo bar night to meet people! https://www.facebook.com/MUNDOLINGO

We use a service called XOOM for sending ourselves cash from US bank accounts in order to get a pretty good exchange rate, but I am pretty sure there is a similar company for UK bank accounts - just search the forums. If you use your credit card you are just getting a horrible exchange rate and so that's why it's not really advised. Using XOOM and paying in cash, are money is going nearly twice as far than if we were to charge things to our cards.

You will love it here!

- I plan to bring cash but I am worried about bringing so much, especially when I will be in and out of different places when I travel (although I will not be slumming it...I plan to live in nice places, where possible). I know the benefit is there getting better rates but it is just a side thought that perhaps I shouldn't over-commit on the cash front. I have a credit card that gives me a great exchange rate in any other country. I guess the general advice is to avoid using this like the plague?

You mention you plan to travel. You can usually get dollars across the border without any problems. So just add a quick detour to a neighboring country and you can get more dollars as needed ...

Back