Eye glasses prices in BA

JHB1216 said:
I had a fun experience that would make me say that you should buy your glasses in the USA. I had my eyes examined locally and glasses made locally but when I went to pick up the glasses the prescription was off. I could not see a thing with the glasses. Anyway to make a long story short, it was a real waste of time and they would not give me my deposit back on the glasses. I do not know who was at fault but you can save yourself a lot of hassle by getting the glasses in the USA as the customer service and customer satisfaction is more than likely going to be better than what you are going to find here.
I agree completely. I went to two different doctors and the difference in my RX between the two was huge (so one or both of them was very off)!

I got some lenses here a couple of years ago and they are really great. I used my old frames, but the lenses are smudge-proof, scratch resistant, anti-glare, and perfectly perfect. I went to a place on Malabia, near Corrientes, called "Mirabia." I can't say how much I payed though, because I used OSDE.

Between my wife and I, we have had several pairs of glasses made in Argentina with no problems.

The trick is- dont buy imported frames- like all other imports, they are ridiculously expensive.
Locally made stuff is quite reasonable.
I am wearing a pair right now of New/Old frames- they are a 60's design and mold, being remade today. I think I paid about 250 pesos for the frames. Industria Argentina. Similar frames in the USA are triple at my local optometrist in Bellingham Wa.

Single vision lenses are quite reasonable in Argentina as well. I had a pair of old frames I brought with me and had new sunglasses lenses put in by my local eyeglasses shop on Billinghurst, 150 pesos for lenses only.

But what is very expensive in Argentina are progressive bifocals. Those are cheaper in the USA.
I have heard two different stories as to why- one is that there is no machine at all in Argentina, and they send them to Brazil, and the other is that they must go to only one company in Argentina, which has the monopoly and knows it- either way, they are expensive.

Reactions: tez
Hmmm, I am sensing that some of these expats have been ripped off on their glasses down here. I suspect that you could find your glasses for under 100 dollars here.

I've gotten the same type of glasses that you described, and I only paid cost (wife's uncle owns an optica) at about 150 pesos.

So depending on where you go, you should be able to find a good deal. If you go to the big eyeglass stores in the malls, you WILL be ripped off, that much I know for sure.

My Argentine friends went for glasses and found a difference of 50% between different shops. Lesson is shop around.

Price depends on the quality of frames and how complicated the prescription is. Also check to see if the lenses are Varilux which is the best quality. My own prescription is complicated so glasses are very expensive. Lenses are imported so the price is high. I think most frames are imported too. Cheaper to get glasses in USA. Also be careful to have your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist and not an optician! Local health plans may offer some discount on glasses.

My Argentine friends went for glasses and found a difference of 50% between different shops. Lesson is shop around.

That's good advice.

I knew that I'd need a new prescription for eyeglasses at my exam this year, so I had time to consider whether or not I wanted to wear bifocals. Once I had a exam at the hospital under Coberatura Portena de Salud, the doctor suggested a visit to the optica in front of the hospital. I went with four pairs of glasses for options. I asked about using an expensive pair of frames from Italy that I've had for 20 years and add bifocal lenses; I was quoted 2,300 pesos. Changing another pair of frames to long distance lenses was 1,700. I wanted to change the lenses in a folding pair of reading glasses, but the woman said it couldn't be done. I wanted to shop around. Did she quote me "foreigner" prices?

I've used two opticas on San Juan near the eye hospital Santa Lucia. I decided to try a new optica and get an estimate. The man answered my questions. He also said that he could replace the lenses in my folding pair of reading glasses for 400 pesos. Bifocals in my Italian lenses would be only 800 pesos if I wanted them. The lenses were changed in one day in my folding pair.

Instituto Optico Rensin
Av. San Juan 2025 (San Cristobal) near Hospital Santa Lucia

I changed lenses (Cryzal) this year and I went at Optica Lookout. they had the best price of the whole Martinez shopping strip and have several shops in Buenos Aires. They are manufacturers and my lenses were ready in 40'. I changed also my sunglasses lenses and they were ready the next day. They don't work with obras sociales but were still the cheapest out there.

http://www.opticaslookout.com.ar/

With my obra social they cover only the basic glasses, any plus (anti-scratch, anti-reflex, etc) is extra, and in the end it costs as much as going private directly.

I used the same frames I brought over from home.

If you need new glasses head over to the Galeria del Optico. Ave. Corrientes 1246. About a block from Obelisco.
I got a pair this year, frames with lenses for about U$D 40.00. Had to wait about an hour, done on the spot.
If you don't have a prescription and don't want to get an exam, bring your old pair and they'll lift it from them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWfIZDIReqw

DB Cooper is correct about the Galeria Optico on Corrientes. There are many shops, so compare prices. My own prescription is complicated, so expensive. The best lenses are Varilux which I believe are French. They cost more. Recently I got a spare pair from the optica gallery and I was pleased with the work done - and much less than at other optical shops I checked. I agree about customer service. If the lenses are not made right or if the doctor is off there isn't anything you can do about it.

Back