fake bills

starlucia said:
The only time I ever received a counterfeit note, it was a 2 from a cab driver (ironically, also the only time I've ever asked for change in a cab, but I assumed it was safe since I was dealing with such small bills.)

My theory, based on my experience. I ran a business for the last 5 years and got used to counting money on a much more-than-average rate. The fake notes I discovered were ALWAYS small. I think there's an explanation for this. By giving change to my clients I noticed they were especially cautious with bigger notes ($50s and $100s) and didn't pay much attention to smaller notes ($20s and smaller). Knowing this, and if I were a Counterfeiter, I'd go for the usually less scrutinized, smaller notes. The top fake note in my experience is the $20 followed by the $10. The $2 comes third, far behind. I never encountered a fake $5.

If I'm right, and $100 fakes are being found more often nowadays, it means counterfeiters are taking more chances as our money is depreciating and bigger bills are being printed more and valued/scrutinized less.

Note: I could tell fake notes by touch alone, but were bad quality, really behind the real ones. The paper texture alone gave them away. You could tell the color was wrong by looking at them from a distance. But lately I started to get $100s that didn't feel right by touch, and only confirmed their authenticity after closer examination. That scares me because it means genuine money is being printed on a lesser-quality paper, or on a different paper type.

This is all a theory, but are fakes improving or legits worsening?

Back