Falklands Referendum

Yes, the war did change everything, and that is most unfortunate for all parties. I think it is important to remember that it was waged by a military dictatorship and is not representative of the Argentine position on this issue, which has historically been to pursue the diplomatic solution. Thirty years later, there are elements in the UK coming around to where they were pre-war, though. Really, I saw no other option ... eventually, the UK will have to return to negotiations.

Well, how about denying the Islanders' existence and engaging in verbal use, refusing to permit overflights of Argentine territory, and enforcing a commercial blockade from South American ports, all for a very dubious irredentist claim?

I disagree that it's dubious. And the overflights and commercial blockade are devices to get the UK to sit down and negotiate. Argentina has UN support on this ... the UK has been told to engage in negotiations.

Yes, the war did change everything, and that is most unfortunate for all parties. I think it is important to remember that it was waged by a military dictatorship and is not representative of the Argentine position on this issue, which has historically been to pursue the diplomatic solution.

If I recall correctly, back in 1982, the entire country, even the extreme left, rallied behind the military during the invasion. It was an extremely popular war until the British handed their asses back to them.

I disagree that it's dubious. And the overflights and commercial blockade are devices to get the UK to sit down and negotiate. Argentina has UN support on this ... the UK has been told to engage in negotiations.

Argentina does not have support to engage in an illegal blockade - which resembles the one the US carries out against Cuba - and revoking the permission for flights is the result of a hissy fit. Under the Kirchner dynasty, Argentina has carried out an isolationist, xenophobic foreign policy.

Argentina does not have support to engage in an illegal blockade - which resembles the one the US carries out against Cuba - and revoking the permission for flights is the result of hissy fit. Under the Kirchner dynasty, Argentina has carried out an isolationist, xenophobic foreign policy.

Yes, I see I should have been clearer. I did not mean to say Argentina has UN support on the blockade. What I meant is that Argentina has UN support on its position that negotiations should resume.

Sorry, in my eyes, the UK is being intransigent by refusing to do so despite UN resolutions directing it to negotiate.

They would impose a blockade with what? Harsh language? To impose a naval blockage, you need warships. Maybe Cristina can order the Fragata Sarmiento, sitting in Puerto Madero as a museum, to be re-incorporated into the Armada. Yeah, I can picture her and the Liberdad together trying to impose a naval blockade. As refusing to permit overflights, they would do what? Threaten to shoot down LAN flights going to the Islands? If they ever did that, you would see these beauties rolling through the pampas over here. These are Leopard 2s, the most powerful tanks in the world. The Chilean Army bought a few hundred of those "beauties" in case the Argentinians ever decided to "get funny" with them. And the Chileans do have the money, resources and the will do get these babies rolling.

leo2a4e4.jpg

If I recall correctly, back in 1982, the entire country, even the extreme left, rallied behind the military during the invasion. It was an extremely popular war until the British handed their asses back to them.

Yup, the junta used it masterfully to whip up national fervor at the time, similar to the '78 world cup. I think most Argentine's today would admit it was dreadfully wrong.

http://en.mercopress...heir-own-future

Ban Ki-moon said UK is not violating relevant UN resolutions referred to the Falklands’ and more specifically on colonialism, he argued that a prevailing impression is that “people living under certain conditions should have a certain level of capacities so that they can decide their own future”, be it independence or some kind of government in their territories.

If the Falklanders wanted anything to do with Argentina the UK would quite happily enter into discussions but i doubt they will for a long time. Argentina would be better set wooing the future generations of Falklanders and i'm sure over time they'd quite happily work with Argentina on many things but whilst we have populist governments in Argentina i doubt any sensible approach will ever be brought to the table.

Has Argentina actually ever apologised for invading?

Its the same situation with Gibraltar. Blair almost signed a "dual" sovereignty deal there until the locals said "STOP".

Yup, the junta used it masterfully to whip up national fervor at the time, similar to the '78 world cup. I think most Argentine's today would admit it was dreadfully wrong.

Hardly masterful, as they lied about what was happening as surely as Saddam's information minister assured everyone their forces were repelling the American invaders.

Hardly masterful, as they lied about what was happening as surely as Saddam's information minister assured everyone their forces were repelling the American invaders.

I meant the reaction they got from the public, which is what they wanted in order to maintain power. It worked for them in the short-term; the public was rallied under this national issue. I think they miscalculated in the long-term, thinking the US would intervene with Thatcher on their behalf.

As I said earlier, IMHO, it's a good thing for Argentina that the war was lost.

Back