Falklands Referendum

But they didn't expel any local population they expelled a garrison and encouraged the local population to stay.
yes

they expelled argentine population, the gaucho rivero if im not wrong.
But anyway, think, what does an Island far far away has to do in these lands? thats plain and simple, keep a colonial territory, prohibited by UN, in the XXIst century.
The self determination principle its only valid if the population is not implanted. Of course is not the case.

yes

they expelled argentine population, the gaucho rivero if im not wrong.
But anyway, think, what does an Island far far away has to do in these lands? thats plain and simple, keep a colonial territory, prohibited by UN, in the XXIst century.
The self determination principle its only valid if the population is not implanted. Of course is not the case.

You are mistaken. Gaucho Rivero and a bunch of other Vernet workers murdered 5 of the leaders of Vernet's settlement 8 months after British rule had been reinstated. (this is the population that were supposed to have been expelled....)

They did this because Vernet was paying them in special "Vernet money" that could only be used in his "Vernet shop".

They took the 5 perpetrators to the UK for trial but they couldn't be put to trial in the UK as under UK law colonies had their own governments and judicial systems, which were not yet in place on the Falklands. I think they ended up sending them to Rio.

If that were the case, Matías, all the Argentines descended from Spanish, Italian and other implanted peoples should be shipped back to their homelands, and the Mapuche, Toba and other dispossessed peoples should take charge of their territories. Many if not most Falkland Islanders - they are indeed a people - have a longer history in their territory than most Argentines.

If that's the case, Matías, all the Argentines descended from Spanish, Italian and other implanted peoples should be shipped back to their homelands, and the Mapuche, Toba and other dispossessed peoples should take charge of their territories. Many if not most Falkland Islanders - they are indeed a people - have a longer history in their territory than most Argentines.
But but but that's different..... :rolleyes: I predict a 10+ page thread.

But but but that's different..... :rolleyes: I predict a 10+ page thread.

Maybe Argentina should return the Paraguayan land they took 31 years after the Falklands debacle?

20121222_PAM973.png

If that were the case, Matías, all the Argentines descended from Spanish, Italian and other implanted peoples should be shipped back to their homelands, and the Mapuche, Toba and other dispossessed peoples should take charge of their territories. Many if not most Falkland Islanders - they are indeed a people - have a longer history in their territory than most Argentines.

There were a lot of criollos in the moment of declaration of independance. Still, it wasnt a country, a State, they were people that decided by their own to como and live in an already existing country.
About mapuche, this government is trying to give back the lands to the mapuche (ley de pueblos originarios), but I know that is so difficult that they wont go anywhere. Still, Mapuches have the recognition of their cultural patrimony.

There were a lot of criollos in the moment of declaration of independance. Still, it wasnt a country, a State, they were people that decided by their own to como and live in an already existing country.
About mapuche, this government is trying to give back the lands to the mapuche (ley de pueblos originarios), but I know that is so difficult that they wont go anywhere. Still, Mapuches have the recognition of their cultural patrimony.

No, Matías, they were illegitimate invaders.

Back