Farewell Buenos Aires

Let’s be really honest...

A decent cognac LOL does not even exist here! Not that its Italian but French! And how I miss that.
Spices are on the D list again many do not even exist!
Sambuca.. ROFLOL
Marsala LOL

Do not compare Argentine with the real it does not even exist here..

IN FACT.. you cannot even cook a decent Italian meal in this country because the ingredients are not available!

I agree on the variety and the spicelessness issues. Steak here is good but they just cut it and put it on the parrilla. Not too much preparation (It's good but sometimes I miss how we used to make asados - which aren't an argie exclusive- back home). The pastas are so horribly heavy and the side dishes usually lack flavour (saltless fries anyone?). And well, the mexican/japanese food we get here sucks completely. I do love tartas and empanadas though.

Steve, don't you miss the cultural life of any big city, the movies, people on the street, bookstores?

There are plenty of people (including attractive young women) in the streets of Punta Alta and Bahia Blanca. I have no desire to look at the men of any age. I don't miss having to dodge panhandlers and pick pockets in the streets and subtes of BA. There are also movie theaters in Bahia Blanca. but I stopped going to them when I was living in Capital Federal. The last movie I saw in a theater was in 2006 (The Da Vinci Code). The only books I ever desire to have "in hand" are my art books. There is so much more (that interests me) available on line (and in English) that could ever be found in the bookstores of BA.

The art museums in Buenos Aires (including the Museo Bellas Artes and MALBA) are vastly inferior to those in Chicago, London, Paris, and even San Francisco. I already have all the art I need for my own home...and then some. Fortunately, I bought most of it when a gallery in San Telmo was going out of business and was offering paintings for $300 to $600 pesos on average. I've seen similar works by the same artists offered at auction in BA recently at base prices four to five times what I paid and a few have sold for more than 10 times that. I posted about this sale in the forum when over a thousand paintings and drawings were available. Not one member contacted me for additional information.

I have groups of my "excess" artworks offered on mercado libre at the same price I paid for them in 2008 (click on "Argentine art for sale" below to see the listings).

When I want to experience the culture of a big city only a few will suffice and Paris is always at the top of the list.

PS: I searched on line for a house in the French countryside prior to finding the one I am living in now. One property near the Atlantic coast was remarkably similar to the one I bought in Argentina. The lot was one fifth the size (by the meter sq) but the price was more than double. It was a lot closer to Paris but it was also way out of my price range. I can leave my house one morning and arrive in Paris the next. What's to miss?

I also don't have to go to the gym to work out. Here I work outside about four hours per day and I'm in the best shape of my life. I don't have to pay for a gym membership, either...I only have to buy gas for the lawn mower, weed eater, and chain saw.

This is not snark, but a honest question. If you are a local, why visit an expat forum? I would not expect a mom forum to be unbiased or say the best things about parenting. Those forums are where most moms complaint about their kids and it is a venting site. This is the same thing. Many of us are here to rant and vent, we know better than to say half of these things to locals face to face. Still, for good or bad, many of us are still in Argentina, so if you are a local take it with a ton of salt and remember we need a place to vent.
Last, being Mexican I have heard a boat load of sh$#@# about my country, and I lived in the US for good 11 yrs, so I have heard quite a bit of things on all the poingnant topics in the news... Does that mean all Mexico is horrible? No. But, with all the honesty and self ciriticism that we need to be good people I can say a lot of that is true. Yes, there are parts that are vastly exagerated, and other factors thatcan come in to play, but at the end of the day the we Mexicans chose our leaders and made our reputation... And we can say the same thing about every country. So it is not bad to listen to the critics and see if there is some truth to that. If there is, well, then we need to act differently.

thanks for explaining Steve.

You're welcome. And I need to make a correction: the house in the countryside of France was more than triple the price of my house in Argentina...with one fifth as much land. It was 15 minutes from the ocean. That's true for my house here, too...and in Argentina I can have chickens, goats, horses, sheep, cows, and or pigs...and no one will bat an eye.

I stopped going to see movies in theaters in 2006 when I bought my first flat screen TV.

I don't mind subtitles on TV but I dislike them in the theaters. It also draws a lot of unwanted attention if you laugh a second or two before everyone else has had time to read the subtitles when a funny line is delivered in an English language movie.

I also apologize for omitting NYC as a a vastly superior location of art (and many other) museums.

I probably should also have included Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Sydney, Rome, Barcelona, and many other "world class" cities.

This whole thread leaves me quie indifferent, as I know you gotta be insane to like it here...But pizza??? [background=rgb(230, 230, 230)] [/background][background=rgb(230, 230, 230)]GS_Dirtboy, I feel so sorry for you..That one I enjoy -- extra thin crust pizza, with NO cheese, with a variety of toppings, or with cheese and tomatoe sause, green onions, barbequed chicken, corn, peas, etc. It is really like eating healthy food...I could IM you my digs in Caballito. I am not saying it is better than in Itally, but it is a sgood as it Italy, for sure.[/background]

For all the complaining about Buenos Aires, I found a good thing about BA. I am currently in the centre of Santiago and I went out to eat at 23h. Almost everything was closed. Burger Kings and McDonalds-es are closed at 23h on a Friday night! They do not close in BA during the weekend.

However, there seems to be a bigger variety of food over here. I could eat a salmon and was pleasantly surprised by the included guarnición: my dish was full of tomatoes, lettuce, olives, cauliflower and corn, that is what I call guarnición.

I've been here in Buenos Aires for nearly 7 years. While I can say that I feel that the quality of life in general has gone downhill in the years I have been here, I personally think the food selection is improving. While I don't think it will ever be on par with other world cities of this size and flavor, thanks to the Chinese immigrants, and their salad bar by the pound restaurants all over the city, it's now possible to eat a vegetable based meal without meat or some bland pasta being the main thing on your plate. I also see Argentines (mostly women, not men) eating more vegetables than before. There are still those people that eat milanesa napolitana with french fries or mashed potatoes on a regular basis. I work with one guy who eats milanesas almost every single day, except for one day I saw him eating fiambres, I guess he wanted some variety so insteaed of eating milanesa that day he had a ham and cheese sandwich. In addition to that he drinks several bottles of coca cola per day and smokes cigarettes - I think one day we are going to find him shriveled up in a corner. It's hard for me to believe how unevolved some people are when it comes to food and nutrition.
I think Buenos Aires would greatly benefit gastronomically from a huge influx of immigrants from south asia or the middle east. I would say they should invite 10 million immigrants from Thailand, India, Bangladesh, Vietnam and the Philippines. We would certainly see some huge changes in food offerings if there were more of these immigrants here.
I am originally from New York City and grew up with almost all Italian neighbors back in the 1970s and ate some truly delicious Italian food prepared by my neighbors and their Italian grandma's who I still have in my memories to this very day. Christmas was so awesome at their houses, Christmas eve they served a platter of 7 fish and seafood, unlimited pastas, lasagna, all kinds of deserts and rainbow cookies and cookies with pignoili nuts on top, and struffoli, my favorite.......and I hate to say this but I've never had a "good" italian meal here, not pasta, not anything, passable I guess, but in no way memorable or even tasty, just bland and mushy. And tomato sauce? They have no idea! Tomato sauce can ONLY be made with a base of skinned, crushed, PLUM tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, onions, and olive oil and a bit of salt - NOTHING ELSE, except when the sauce starts bubbling, throw a whole carrot in the sauce and let it cook with the sauce, the sweetness will leach out of the carrot and into the sauce. This was a trick I learned from my neighbor Nonna Maietta in New York. She was the BEST italian cook ever to have graced the earth. Here they make tomato sauce out of that tomato liquid in those cardboard boxes - truly gross!

Buenos Aires (Argentina) is Italy. I lived in Rome for three years. Nothing works there, either - economics, politics nor infrastructure. But the food is awesome and the women are beautiful. Sounds so familiar.

Between the first and second world wars there were 15 million Italian immigrants who came to Argentina. There are 40 million Argentines today. The math is pretty clear.

Would add to your comments that the majority of the Italian immigrants in Argentina came from Sicily, Calabria, Puglie and deep tip of the boot. Compared to those areas Rome is like Switzerland.....!!!

Your math is close , but the immigration flow was strongest between 1890 and 1910.

Back