Fascists in Palermo

sergio said:
Peronism not fascist? Who were Peron's idols? For sure not Churchill and Roosevelt!

The genius of Peron was to convince everybody that Peron was their leader wherever in the political spectrum they came from. And on this day in 1945 - October 17th - Dia de la Lealdad - was the proof of it. Who knows how many hundreds of thousands pressed into La Plaza de Mayo to wash their feet in the fountains on that day and who knows how many tens of thousands will do the same today whilst singing La Marcha Peronista? And the left and the right and those somewhere in the middle will still each think of themselves as the true Peronistas and try to beat the living daylights out of the other lot. You watch and see.

orwellian said:
@gouchobob
So when one company owns all media, that is not a limitation of press freedom?
And I love to hear your reasoning on how Hugo is authoritarian.

I don't want to discuss this with you as it's obvious you are member of the looney left and cannot be swayed by logic or facts.

However for others I say Hugo is authoritarian for a number of reasons, ruling by decree, shutting down critical media outlets, abolishing term limitations, harassment of opposition politicians and elected officials, to cite a few examples.

It's true he was elected but voting for election for one individual doesn't make this democracy. A democracy is a lot more like free and independent courts, functioning legislative bodies that are more than rubber stamps for the leader.

Some of these problems can be seen in Argentina with the weak court system and the rarely objecting Congress.

orwellian said:
Oh and what do you call it when the government tortures you and incarcerates you for years without a trial? By your own definition the United States is a fascist dictatorship then.

I call it "Good, clean American fun."

Are you really saying that Hugo is NOT an authoritarian "president"? I never write "LOL", but I do find that funny.

Hi Gouchobob

I thought the media law itself was ok, similar problems have arisen in other countries regarding media monopolies. Murdoch scraped through by the skin of his teeth when he bought the times, largely because he was a supporter of the incumbant govenment. He now owns a ridiculous percentage of british media, giving him frankly worrying abilities to dominate print & TV with whatever opinion he feels serves his interests.

Italy elected the largest media owner in the country. I somehow doubt Berlusconi would have won over the hearts and minds of the country without the aid of his media empire.

Clarin have been a great opponent of the government, and have rightly called them out and held them to question on a number of key issues. It was very worrying earlier in the year when the state turned on Clarin for challenging the state's laughable estimations of inflation. Media should always have the right to challenge government.

But at some point, having a media group large enough to dominate public opinion creates an enormous amount of power and influence, and there's no guarantee this will be used wisely or justly. I'm a big supporter of Clarin, but there's no guarantee they won't end up promoting their own agenda for self serving interests, as other media magnates have done around the world.

This is more about breaking up monopolies than restricting freedom of the press, and so for that reason I'm in favour of it.

jp said:
Hi Gouchobob

I thought the media law itself was ok, similar problems have arisen in other countries regarding media monopolies. Murdoch scraped through by the skin of his teeth when he bought the times, largely because he was a supporter of the incumbant govenment. He now owns a ridiculous percentage of british media, giving him frankly worrying abilities to dominate print & TV with whatever opinion he feels serves his interests.

Italy elected the largest media owner in the country. I somehow doubt Berlusconi would have won over the hearts and minds of the country without the aid of his media empire.

Clarin have been a great opponent of the government, and have rightly called them out and held them to question on a number of key issues. It was very worrying earlier in the year when the state turned on Clarin for challenging the state's laughable estimations of inflation. Media should always have the right to challenge government.

But at some point, having a media group large enough to dominate public opinion creates an enormous amount of power and influence, and there's no guarantee this will be used wisely or justly. I'm a big supporter of Clarin, but there's no guarantee they won't end up promoting their own agenda for self serving interests, as other media magnates have done around the world.

This is more about breaking up monopolies than restricting freedom of the press, and so for that reason I'm in favour of it.

Of course when Clarin was in favor of the government (until a couple of years ago)then the concentration of ownership wasn't a problem. I remember a couple of years ago when you could see anti-Clarin graffiti painted on walls by people associated with the government, or some of the threats made by Nestor and company against Clarin in various speeches. How about the recent raids on Clarin by AFIP, true tax issues or intimidation by the government? Time will tell but I don't like the tone of whats going on. I also don't like concentration of ownership in the media. Rupert Murdoch comes to mind with Fox News. If it turns out that the media legislation is benign than you might be right. However with the people in charge there I would fear that the government will use the law to silence opponents. I think this is far greater risk than any concentration of ownership in Argentina.

orwellian said:
@gouchobob
What does the new media law have to do with fascism? And are you insinuating that Chavez is authoritarian?

I'd really want to read your reasoning about Hugo Chávez not being an authoritarian leader (aka dictatorship)

are you Venezuelan? Do you feel you have enough knowledge or better yet, facts to claim something like that? Have you lived in Venezuela the last 5-7 years? If so I will respect your opinion, (just because I will know at least you have some basis to refer to, not because I think Chavez is not authoritarian).

I'll have to quote gauchobob because it really seems "you are member of the looney left and cannot be swayed by logic or facts" so I'd say you have no facts whatsoever.

Let us read what you think....

Freedom of the press is laughable as it does not exist anywhere in the world and all views and opinions are controlled to create the desired effect in the populace.
There is no doubt though that there is more freedom of the press in Argentina than the USA, Australia and Europe . At least here there are some interesting articles and all the details are shown.

Regarding Graffiti in Palermo I believe thats its amongst the best in the world if not the best . There is so much creative talent and energy in Buenos Aires that needs to be expressed and graffiti is a excellent expression.

Yes there is ugly graffiti but overall in Palermo Viejo its a joy to the senses and should be respected as the art form that it is.

pericles said:
Freedom of the press is laughable as it does not exist anywhere in the world and all views and opinions are controlled to create the desired effect in the populace.
There is no doubt though that there is more freedom of the press in Argentina than the USA, Australia and Europe . At least here there are some interesting articles and all the details are shown.

Regarding Graffiti in Palermo I believe thats its amongst the best in the world if not the best . There is so much creative talent and energy in Buenos Aires that needs to be expressed and graffiti is a excellent expression.

Yes there is ugly graffiti but overall in Palermo Viejo its a joy to the senses and should be respected as the art form that it is.

You may be correct but according to the listing of countries by World Audit .org(link below) Argentina actually ranks well below all the countries you list including USA, Europe and Australia, although Argentina(65th)is tied with Bosnia. Perhaps you could expand on your views why you think Argentina's press is more free than these countries? Of course this survey was taken before the new media law which would likely push Argentina further down the list.

http://www.worldaudit.org/press.htm

worldaudit.org...Publisher's Overview

This is the Eighteenth world audit report of the millennium, in which we review the state of public corruption; current practice in human rights; political rights; free speech; and the overall state of the rule of law in 150 nations (all those exceeding one million population). By reference to these, we compile the world democracy table with its subsidiary statistical tables. We recommend that readers check out our methodology (button on left hand sidewalk of democracy table) to make the most sense of these results and the commentary below.

We also recommend readers who seek more in-depth, regular information, to our sister website, www.newnations.com This offers updated monthly analytical reports currently for 45 'nations in transition' (emerging or submerging); many polemical, geopolitical 'special reports',all archived since 2002. www.geopolemics.com is the u-tell-us blog for both newnations and worldaudit. It also lists all current newnations country reports often at a reduced length, as well as our ‘prescriptions’ relating to some of the wide spread of geopolitical analysis we offer. All three sites interlink and are free.

Questions...

Who owns? worldaudit.org

Who supports? worldaudit.org

Who runs? worldaudit.org

Who are they? worldaudit.org

It's easy to quote this "org" "in which we review the state of public corruption;".....

Who are "we"?

Anybody knows well this organization and can explain what are they intentions and agendas?

Thanks

Back