favourite stop over between BA and Montreal

thomas-french

Registered
hi,
I will have to go to Montreal and on my way i would like to take benefit of flying over the continent to do a stop over in the US. I thought about Miami (go to the beach!) as Atlanta doesnot ring a bell. But i am looking for other suggestion from international travellers.
thanks !

It depends on what you like to do.
If you want to warm up, get some sun, walk on a beautiful beach, see celebrities and other attractive people, enjoy nightlife, then Miami Beach is the place to visit. Its a 1/2 hour cab ride from the airport.
Boston is another option, its beautiful and historic.
Washington D.C. has the Smithsonian Museum, monuments and tours of the White House and Capitol.

I've never seen a direct flight from BOS to BA. NYC is another option (one of the airlines just started a direct BA-NYC flight, and a bunch of them already do it).

Unless you're willing to make 2 connections on the way to Montreal, your stopover options in North America are

1. Miami - 3 flights daily on AA, 1 on AR, and 1 or 2 on LAN - good for beach and party scene
  2. New York - 1 daily on AA and 1 on UA - highly recommended, especially now with spring weather there
  3. Atlanta - 1 daily on DL - with no reason to go there
  4. Dallas - 1 daily on AA - with no reason to go there unless you want to see a bit of Texas first hand
  5. Houston - 1 daily on UA - with no reason to go there unless you want to see a bit of Texas first hand

Canick said:
ba-washington on United. terrible if in a rush. my vote for Miami if you haven't been.
When United merged with Continental they moved the DC flight to Newark. So no more direct flights to Washington.

I only do BA-Mtl or TO via JFK (NYC) - on American Airlines. JFK is easy, NY is fun, and there are plenty of flights to MTL on American Eagle to Mtl (my hometown) so even if you are delayed or what have you, really easy to keep going. And time in NYC is never wasted...

jimdepalermo said:
Unless you're willing to make 2 connections on the way to Montreal, your stopover options in North America are

1. Miami - 3 flights daily on AA, 1 on AR, and 1 or 2 on LAN - good for beach and party scene
  2. New York - 1 daily on AA and 1 on UA - highly recommended, especially now with spring weather there
  3. Atlanta - 1 daily on DL - with no reason to go there
  4. Dallas - 1 daily on AA - with no reason to go there unless you want to see a bit of Texas first hand
  5. Houston - 1 daily on UA - with no reason to go there unless you want to see a bit of Texas first hand

Oh how I long for the days when Chicago was on this list ;-/ Home company is based there and I used to take it regularly. I remember a few flights towards the end, everyone had a row to themselves. General boarding called all at once. I remember saying the the gate agent the last time I took it, "I don't understand, why is AA discontinuing this flight?" She rolled her eyes and said, "I can't imagine why...."

Also a tip, Thomas. if you're flying into New York/JFK and travelling reasonably light, you can take the elevated Airtrain from the American Airlines terminal to its stop at Sutphin Blvd. There you can transfer to the E subway and get into Manhattan for U$7,50 in about 45 minutes, which is usually a good deal faster than a taxi. If you're carrying a lot of luggage, it's not a good idea because there are stairs and the subway will be crowded at morning rush hour when you arrive.

At Sutphin, you can take the E subway to Fifth Avenue near Rockefeller Center or continue on to Times Square, where the train heads downtown through Chelsea, Greenwich Village, Soho, and Tribeca to the Wall Street area (World Trade Center).

Alternatively, a taxi charges a flat rate of $ 45,50 plus tolls and tip, typically about $55 total, to any address in Manhattan.

If you fly United to Newark airport, there's a similar arrangement that involves an elevated tram to a train station, where you can take a commuter train to Penn Station in Manhattan. It's a little more complicated but a lot cheaper than taxis from Newark (which is in New Jersey, a different state with different taxi regulation).

Back