FBI Background... Apostilled?

KatharineAnn said:
So your FBI background check is invalidated by travelling to the US since its issuance, but what can you do if you are not yet in Argentina? Do you have to physically live in Argentina on a tourist visa during the many months it takes to get the FBI record?? That just seems very strange to me.

Also, if you cannot return to the US, how on earth do you get the thing apostilled? Is there any way to get a document apostilled while not physically in the US? It just seems contradictory. Thanks!!

I "ordered" (on line and by email) and had all of my documents receive the seal of the Apostille in the United States while I was living in Argentina. My brother in Illinois (I was using his address as my US residence) sent the police report and other legal docs to a friend in Chicago who took them to the Secretary of State for the Apostille and then sent them to me in BA.

I did not have to provide n FBI report as Ii received my visa rentista back in the "good old days" of 2006 when a home town police report was still accepted by migraciones in BA.

Today I heard a "rumor" that migraciones will not accept any document (birth certificate, e.g.) that has the seal of the Apostille or translation that is more than six months old. I recently had to get a new certificado de domicilio before getting my DNI category changed from temporary to permanent because my "old" certificado would have been six months and ONE day old on the day of my turno.

In some states (Utah, e.g.) it is possible to order a document (divorce decree, e.g.) online and also have it receive the seal of the Apostille and then sent to any US address.

Ok, I think I'm going to cry from frustration. So the Department of State sends your FBI background check back to you without an Apostille if it doesn't have the certification from the FBI??? On my application for my background check I *tried* to have them put a rush order on it and specifically said it was for an Apostille Seal to be used in another country. When I called to get the status, they rudely told me that there was no way they could rush it because they had so many applicants and when I got it back there was no stamp or certification on it. I wrote an email to the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires about getting it notarized, they sent me an info sheet that said to simply send it to the Department of State. If I get this thing back without an Apostille, I have no clue what I'm going to do because I have no money to fly back to the U.S. just to apply again.

voodoodoll said:
Ok, I think I'm going to cry from frustration. So the Department of State sends your FBI background check back to you without an Apostille if it doesn't have the certification from the FBI??? On my application for my background check I *tried* to have them put a rush order on it and specifically said it was for an Apostille Seal to be used in another country. When I called to get the status, they rudely told me that there was no way they could rush it because they had so many applicants and when I got it back there was no stamp or certification on it. I wrote an email to the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires about getting it notarized, they sent me an info sheet that said to simply send it to the Department of State. If I get this thing back without an Apostille, I have no clue what I'm going to do because I have no money to fly back to the U.S. just to apply again.

Please don't cry - take a deep breath!!
You don't have to go back to the US to do it. You can submit the request from there. It would probably have to go back to the FBI to have them have an Official sign so that it CAN be apostilled by the US Office of Authentications. I'm still trying to find out whether or not the apostille on the FBI background check is even necessary as it is a governmental agency. Some countries require it however I'm not sure that Argentina requires it yet.

sharkbait08 said:
Hi everyone...

I am just wondering if it is necessary to get the FBI background check apostilled? I have everything else apostilled but I forgot to ask the FBI to certify by background check so the state department (where I sent it to get apostilled) sent it back and told me that I had to send it to the FBI again to get it certified and then the state department again. Which brings me to another question... how long is my FBI background check valid (according to migraciones here)? My original request was in Jan 2010. And it was processed in March 2010. In advance... many thanks!!!!

Alice

The FBI received my request in early December and supposedly the results were mailed in February, but they never arrived. After hours on the phone, they sent me another copy in April. But this would not be able to be certified and then apostilled because it specifically states on their website that requests to authenticate previously processed results WILL NOT be accepted.

Originally Posted by emilyr

4. Does the FBI *apostille?
(*An apostille is a document that has been "legalized" or "authenticated"
by the issuing agency. This is a process in which various seals are
placed on the document.)
The FBI’s CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and signature of a Division official on the results, if requested at the time of submission. Documents prepared in this matter may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requestor to obtain an apostille if necessary. This service is not provided to individuals requesting search results for Canadian immigration, as it is not required for this purpose. This procedure becomes effective 1/25/2010 and will apply only to documents finalized after that date. Requests to authenticate previously processed results will not be accepted. This procedure replaces the letter formerly provided by the CJIS Division that indicated the service was not provided.

As I sent my fingerprints in November 2009, there was no way to know that this service was going to be offered. I am having the translator translate this portion above from the FBI website along with my other documents! So yes, anyone NOW needing to send the fingerprints in should request legalization. But if they were sent before January 25, there's nothing you can do so I pray that migraciones understands that!

Another thing that I feel like I'm just crossing my fingers about: I mailed my fingerprints to the FBI from BsAs in November, then went to the States in December and came back in January. My report shows the processing date in February. I have not been back to the States since January. I feel that this is ok, since by the processing date I was back in BsAs. Right?

Back