FBI background check or local Sheriff Department for residency

sejamadera

Registered
Hi, I'm trying to get my residency done and have a few questions for if anyone might know or be able to help. I got a background check done from the FBI, but it didn't get to me before leaving for Argentina. I was wondering if anyone knew if the background check from the FBI will work? I got a fd-258 fingerprint background check done. My second question is if I have to get it apostilled before having it sent to Argentina or if the US embassy has the power to get it apostilled and have it sent to them? Before I got the fd-258 card I just got a clearance letter from my local sheriffs department but wasn't sure if it would work. Has anyone got their residency using a clearance letter before?
Thanks!!!

The federal apostille can be done by mail. The Department of State is the office that issues the apostille for federal records - the US embassy does not issue apostilles. Currently, the wait time for a federal apostille is about 10-11 weeks and there is no way to expedite it. It costs $20.
If you have received the FBI background check also as a file, you can consider hiring a firm like Monument Visa that for $55 will get it apostilled for you - you just have to upload the file on their website instead of phisically mailing the hardcopy from Argentina to the DoS. https://www.monumentvisa.com/fbi-apostille/

I just got a clearance letter from my local sheriffs department but wasn't sure if it would work.

It won't.

Has anyone got their residency using a clearance letter before?
Yes, but that was over 15 years ago.

Only an FBI report that has been authenticated by the US Dept of State will be accepted now.

If you don't have the FBI report authenticated by the US Department of State and instead submit an FBI report with a state issued Apostille, you may need an "immigration lawyer" to try to get migraciones to accept it, so it's probably best to get the former.

This thread may provide useful information:

Last edited:
The "immigration lawyers" here may not be current on what Migracion will accept. And they may not understand what an apostille is and what it is not. For example, this statement is not correct: "Only an FBI report that has been authenticated by the US Dept of State will be accepted now."

You can have your FBI report duly apostilled at a U.S. national, state or county level and it will be accepted by Migracion as long as the apostille has the proper stamps, and signatures; which they will.

Back