FBI background check + US birth certificate

Remember also that, when required, the FBI background check is technically only valid for six months … so .. it definitely makes sense to get all ducks in a row during the process so that you don’t risk it expiring while you are waiting for your appointment at Migraciones… or with the judge, if it is needed for citizenship…

Remember also that, when required, the FBI background check is technically only valid for six months.

Years ago I posted that, if you got the report while in the USA, you had 90 days from the date of issue to enter Argentina with the report and that the report was valid as long as you didn't leave the country before it was submitted to migraciones, but I don't know if this is still the case.

PS: I also posted that the birth certificate was no longer required for temporary residency in 2012 (as well as 2018) and I haven't heard that it is now required.

Last edited:
I was finger printed here and they were rejected. Best if you can fly to usa and do it at a post office. Huge pain in the butt

I had my prints done here by the police dept. and sent to a forwarding service in the U.S. The prints were rejected by the FBI.

I had my prints done here by the police dept. and sent to a forwarding service in the U.S. The prints were rejected by the FBI.

I initiated my PR in 04.21.....The neighborhood police precincts no longer fingerprint....it was a logistical ''hot mess'' involving several agencies and document services in the US...... once they received the prints, the FBI responded immediately.... I received my report electronically from a document agent ( VPN required ) and forwarded to another document service for submission to the State Department.....it was then apostilled at the State Department which took 12 weeks for 1 page.... no way to make that happen faster.....good luck.

My experience:

Migraciones is a PITA. Not only within 6 months but if you enter and re-enter the country between the FBI background check and them accepting the document, they won't take the document and they might even tell you why or just silently sit on it.

Citizenship, the judge, as far as I can tell here in Entre Rios, seems to be pretty laid back. They're more concerned on the substance. (if you spend most of your time in Argentina and your FBI report is old, the individual judge might not care, but again, up to the judge).

Apostilles are super delayed right now in the US due to pandemic restrictions in DC. Fast passport services are similarly impacted. You'll need to wait a bit there.

Back