Fear of meeting

chris

Registered
I have found quite a few people are afraid of meeting. They are even afraid of meeting outside. Are others having the same experience or do others feel the same way themselves, they're afraid to meet people in a cafe or restaurant?

Roughly 200 people die every day of Covid in CABA and the province. Yet people happily congregate inside restaurants and cafes mask-free. I'll never understand where they get confidence that it can't happen to them.

I haven't encountered reluctance to meet people. And I am happy to meet people. But they have to be hardy enough to sit outside with me.

There is another side to the equation in these strange times in which we live. Anyone who takes it upon themselves to propose a social meeting is taking on a particular risk and responsibility.

One Sunday, back in March, just before they started vaccinating mayores de edad, a well-known individual in the field I work aged 75 (single-parenting his 15-year old daughter) accepted an invitation to lunch at the home of friends. It was an invitation that he should not have accepted and that should not have been offered. On the Wednesday, the brother of one of the hosts tested positive, and on the Thursday the hosts also started experiencing symptoms. The hosts informed the 75-year old, who, by the weekend also started to show symptoms. He started to blog about his Covid experience, hence all these details are widely known. Three weeks later he was dead, and this 15-year old daughter was fatherless. He is gone, but the couple who invited him are not, and will have to live with the decision they took to invite a senior into a closed and presumably mask-free space during the height of the pandemic.

There is another side to the equation in these strange times in which we live. Anyone who takes it upon themselves to propose a social meeting is taking on a particular risk and responsibility.

One Sunday, back in March, just before they started vaccinating mayores de edad, a well-known individual in the field I work aged 75 (single-parenting his 15-year old daughter) accepted an invitation to lunch at the home of friends. It was an invitation that he should not have accepted and that should not have been offered. On the Wednesday, the brother of one of the hosts tested positive, and on the Thursday the hosts also started experiencing symptoms. The hosts informed the 75-year old, who, by the weekend also started to show symptoms. He started to blog about his Covid experience, hence all these details are widely known. Three weeks later he was dead, and this 15-year old daughter was fatherless. He is gone, but the couple who invited him are not, and will have to live with the decision they took to invite a senior into a closed and presumably mask-free space during the height of the pandemic.
That is tragic and, was of course quite avoidable.

My heart goes out to that girl for losing her dad. It's also should be quite mental burden to the hosts who had good intentions, but failed miserably.

All depends on your age and how you calculate the risk for yourself. If I was in my 70s I wouldn’t want to meet anyone either.
If we do meet people it’s normally outside and with people who similar to us don’t go out to work and don’t see hundreds of different people.

Catching COVID outdoors is extremely unlikely. .1% or less of COVID cases are believed to be from outdoor transmission. The country that keeps the best statistics, Singapore, found that every outdoor case, happened at construction sites. This means partially enclosed spaces, lots of men working in very close quarters.

I'm all for wearing masks indoors, getting vaccinated, etc, but fearing to meet people outside when you have a little space between you and the other people makes zero sense.

Unfortunately, Delta seems to change this equation a little. The current lockdown in Melbourne is due to spread that occurred in the grandstand 10 days ago at a football game, which naturally has now seeded widely. Of course, those people weren't wearing masks.

All I know, is that this is all getting old and frustrating, so much good time from our lives is evaporating.

I fear this is going to take years to play out. (Not a very promising thought.)

So let's say, this will take 3 to 5 more years to play out. What to do?

Work hard and improve yourself in every identifiable way. The improvements can take the form of mentally, physically and or spiritually. Be a better person and get clearer in your thinking / goals in life. This is all I can come up with.

Back