Feminist Groups?

thank you pericles,
that's great news, I would love to meet some fat people with which I could hang out with, (smile)
Oh and if you know any, could you ask them where I can buy a decent bra for my 36 dd natural bosoms?
besos

No harm done, auntieapple. Being lesbian certainly isn't a bad thing; most of my closest friends are. I would be proud to call myself a lesbian... except that I cannot. And thanks for providing all of that British feminism background! I had never heard the story of the woman who threw herself under the king's horse's hooves. Our foremothers were amazing people. Elpanada, your every post shows me how much work there is to be done. Frustratingly enough, though, a friend and collaborator once pointed out to me that it is much easier to change the laws than to change people's minds. The one can follow the other, but it takes time. We feminists are like authors who never publish while they're living: we may never get to see the fruits of our labor!

Pericles is correct about the obesity in Argentina. It's certainly a country of paradox, and like many countries the lines of obesity and anorexia follow the class divisions. Eating disorder stats here are horribly high, but that is to say it is still at less than 10% of the population.
However beyond the absolute cases of anorexics and bulemics there's a whole slew of women that well, probably the best way to describe them is to say "they have an unhealthy relationship with food".
Back home it is more and more not about how much you weigh, but what percentage of that is muscle. Here it is only about the number on the scale (and how many ribs you can see ;) Result: lots of what I call skinny-fats walking around: Women that maybe weigh 100lbs / 40-something kilos but have incredibly high body fat percentage. How many times when I go to the gym do I see women "working out" who 1) Aren't even breaking a sweat / moving around enough to raise their heart rate (they are usually walking on the treadmill for about 5 mins at a time between chatting with whoever they can, or riding the bike at level 1 and 50rpms while reading a magazine -- unless you're 70, that's going to get you nowhere) or 2) Are so starved that they can't even lift a 1kg weight...
Instead of working out to build muscle (which would lead to higher metabolism) so many women here go the route of starve themselves / do lots of cardio because they are scared of "bulking up" (note: to really bulk up a woman would need to take 'roids and drop her BF% to less than 20%) and then pop caffeine pills and smoke ciggys so that they can dull their appetite.
It would be nice to see something change in BA, but the mindset is far from changing. My boyfriend has many a friend who have said that they don't want a smart, career-oriented woman because they don't want someone who will challenge them. They want a doll -- or what is the expression? Pussycat in the kitchen and tiger in the bedroom? Something like that...
The funniest/saddest thing about the women's pursuit of physical beauty here is that it's a self-destructive cycle. All the dieting / smoking / starving / sun leads to women who look a lot older than at home. My boyfriend's friends are all going out with girls of 23-25 years old. At my 31st birthday they couldn't believe it -- they thought I was their age. And they always thought my 38year old friend from SF was 30.
I would love to meet some more Argentine women that are smart and not afraid to show it. These 20-somethings at these parties I have to go to are bubbleheads. I know it's a growing problem in the States as well, but what I would give to be able to have an intelligent conversation with these women...

"...what I would give to be able to have an intelligent conversation with these women..."
I know it's a topic for another thread, but AMEN to that!!!

"syngirl" said:
I would love to meet some more Argentine women that are smart and not afraid to show it. These 20-somethings at these parties I have to go to are bubbleheads. I know it's a growing problem in the States as well, but what I would give to be able to have an intelligent conversation with these women...

I dont know what woman you normally meet but the woman I meet are normally in the early or mid 20´s and work and study really hard to make something of there life.

Maybe they have not yet noticed that Argentina in 2007 is different then the one in 1997. I dont know.

I would say meet some more people from the middle class and not of the lower class and villa's

I LOVE the fact that Granada assumes I've been hanging out in the villa and with the "lower classes".
Granada makes the best "pull it out of his a$@" assumptions on this site! Never has any basis for his conclusions, it's amazing the stuff that comes out of his mouth!
Sorry to disappoint Granada, but the locals I'm talking about come from good families, where the parents are educated professionals, live in the better barrios, have the better incomes etc, and the boys in the families are all pursuing careers, but for some reason the girls of the families are idiots and follow the belief that if they are pretty enough they don't need to study and have a career and a bit of original thought. They seem to believe that vapidity is attractive. It's a trait that is all too common here unfortunately.

LOL go syngirl go!. I have to agree with syngirl sorry granadaiscool, but its usually the girls from the better families that are so obsessed with their bodies and even though they attended the best schools, they really dont give a shit because they know someone will look after them. They are really pushed to have a conversation on international current affairs or similar. The worst thing is that at dinner parties, (They are not very good at that I have to say, as in my husbands circle it is usually us that throw the dinner or cocktail parties) the chaps all sit together and talk bullshit and the women all sit together talking children, clothes and which gym they are attending. Very much like social life in the middle east. I usually end up sitting with the men and throw in the occasional dart to piss them off, but the women exhaust me. Its also interesting that the majority of them cant wash a plate or make a decent bed, let alone have a decent debate.

Feminism it's about hate, envy and obsession.
Yes if any intelligent individual was to take a good look at the discussion that has taken place here he would come to that conclusion.We have auntieapple here who just can't stop trying to convince people what a magnificent person she is and how she is so much better than those stupid Argentinian woman. And lets not forget her "baexpats.com for expats, Argentinian women out" remarks.
And then we have good old syngirl here that can't stop implying that these local women are somehow lesser than American women and can't stop talking about "Skinny-fats" either regardless of how ridiculous doing so is.
I will state that women's rights is a good and a necessary thing but feminism and women's rights are not the same thing and feminism is something which is just simply wrong to associate yourself with. I suggest that this thread be locked and the site be declared feminist free.

"syngirl" said:
I LOVE the fact that Granada assumes I've been hanging out in the villa and with the "lower classes".
Granada makes the best "pull it out of his a$@" assumptions on this site! Never has any basis for his conclusions, it's amazing the stuff that comes out of his mouth!
Sorry to disappoint Granada, but the locals I'm talking about come from good families, where the parents are educated professionals, live in the better barrios, have the better incomes etc, and the boys in the families are all pursuing careers, but for some reason the girls of the families are idiots and follow the belief that if they are pretty enough they don't need to study and have a career and a bit of original thought. They seem to believe that vapidity is attractive. It's a trait that is all too common here unfortunately.
I don´t believe you.

Quote Elpanada: "We have auntieapple here who just can't stop trying to convince people what a magnificent person she is and how she is so much better than those stupid Argentinian woman. And lets not forget her "baexpats.com for expats, Argentinian women out remarks".Un-quote
first of all Elpanada, I have never ever said "baexpats.com for expats, Argentinian women out" that is a blatant LIE.
May I suggest you go and dig out my comments to refresh your memory.
Secondly, you have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about feminisn as your provincial and immature comments prove.
It seems to me, that you are very threatened by women like us non Argentine women because our conversation seems to irritate you so very much. Why is that Elpanada?
Your constant ridiculous statments about "evil, oppression and hate" with regards to feminism really does show that you are at least in need of some assistance on the educational front, let us not even discuss the mental health area .
You are incapable of having a debate without resorting to pathetic unprovoked personal attacks on people having fun on this site.
You were reprimanded by the moderator earlier this week for your nasty and aggressive attacks on this thread. In fact I invite our other friends to read Elpanada's comments through this thread and as you can see she/he has been edited out by the moderator.
Yes, I said words to the effect of, I thought this site was for Ex-pats to share and express their experiences both good and bad about Argentina. If it is called BA ex pats, why do we have to be censured by non ex pats? Why do you bother coming here if this thread is so "evil"? Are you one more member of Argentina's cultural police? Well, I do hope not because it just proves one thing, the intellectual level of your representatives is even lower than I thought.
get a life!
regards to all

Back