Fibertel 12 Megas Wifi

RSPlayer

Registered
Anybody have Fibertel 12 Megas Wifi? We had the 3 Megas in our house in Pilar and it worked "OK" for years. Last week I changed to 12 Megas Wifi. Fibertel had to send someone to the house to change the modem/router, because apparently the "old" modem/router could no be used with the 12 Megas. Several hours after they replaced the "old" modem/router with the "new" modem/router and did some reconfiguration back at Fibertel, the speed acording to speedtest.net was between 10 and 15 Mbits/sec. I understand that the speed is extremely variable depending on the time of day etc. My problem is with the Signal Strengh, with the "old" modem/router I could recieve signal in much of the house downstairs (the modem/router has always been located upstairs) with the "new" modem/router I receive a week signal at the bottom of the steps and little or no signal elsewhere, in places that I did before. Is it posible that the "new" modem/router that can handle 12 Megas, sends out a weaker Wifi signal? I believe that either the "new" mode/router is not functioning properly or not configured properly or it just has a weaker signal. Bottom line is I am much worse off than before, doesn't matter how fast it is, if the signal doesn't reach my devices downstairs I am SOL. Also, what's up with the "limitation" of 8 devices??? Any ideas, experience, suggestions? Fibertel is returning tommorow, but I am not hopefull. Thanks in advance.

We got a new modem as well when we signed upo for Fibertel 12 megas.

We are getting between 8 and 12 but the signal is working well all over the house. Our modem is also upstairs but so far anyone using anything mobile downstairs has had no complaints

We got a new modem as well when we signed upo for Fibertel 12 megas.

We are getting between 8 and 12 but the signal is working well all over the house. Our modem is also upstairs but so far anyone using anything mobile downstairs has had no complaints

Can you actually play youtube in 1080p with that? I find on our 3mb i can only get 720p if the wind is blowing in the right direction. 1080p usually requires me to download the whole video first before viewing.

I have 30 MB evolution and I usually recieve 28-30 mb download speed all the time. upload is v low..3 mb only.

Is it posible that the "new" modem/router that can handle 12 Megas, sends out a weaker Wifi signal?

Yes it is, get a wifi repeater to send the wifi throughout the house.
Alternatively try moving the cable box closer to the stairs if possible and download a wifi app on your phone to see if the frequency it is on is over populated.

[font="Arial""]ejcot. Thanks, but the issue with the wifi repeater is at best, you will loose 50% of the speed (as I understand it), but the real issue again (I have a repeater) is that the repeater has to receive a strong signal in order to repeat it. So in the current situation the repeater would have to be located very close to the modem/router, so I would not gain a whole lot. I think a solution may be to install 1 or 2 wireless Access Points (in 2 different areas of the downstairs) that would be connected to the modem/router with Cat5 cable. The problem is pulling the cable, but that could be done (I think). The other solution may be to use Powerline Ethernet, that uses the pre-existing electrical cables already in the walls etc. then sends the wifi signal from wherever you have the Powerline device plugged into an electrical outlet. Anybody have experince with that??[/font]

Newer routers have a different kind of signal than older ones (Wireless N instead of G I think). However even though the newer signals are more stable, they don't go through brick or metal as well as the older signal. So, probably your older router had the older signal, and the newer router has the newer signal. What you could try is to purchase an older link sys router with Wireless G, plug it in to you router, and see if it has more range. Another thing you can do it to take that very old link sys router, and you can upgrade the firmware so that you can get a signal from up to a kilometer away. Of course, you have to be extremely careful and find some good instructions online, because you can fry the router. Repeaters basically are just not very good, so it's better to just plug in a router with more range into the existing router.

Also, it is always better to be below the router than above it for whatever reason. If you move said router to top floor, it might very well cover the entire house.

I use the Cisco linksys EA6500 wireless router coupled to D-Link ADSL modem model DSL2320B but interception of signals at farthest point of the house was getting very weak recently. So I decided to add a range extender AC1200 Wi-Fi max and now I even
can take my laptop way outside into the garden sitting me in the tree shade way back in the patio area and still enjoy full 5 bars of
strength and faster web page refresh ! So get ahold of good Wi-Fi range extender and your life can be happier !

It sounds like they set you up at 5 megahertz instead of 2.5. Better signal at 5 but it gets no distance. Get repeaters if this is not the case.

Back