Fibertel/Cablevision

cruizes

Registered
I opened an account with them in December 2010 and gave them a credit card to set up auto debit payments.

I called 3 times over the past few months and they always said that they have the credit card number and not to worry about it because they would eventually charge the card.

Today I contacted them to try to pay the total amount, A$800.00 and this time they said that they do not accept credit cards from a foreign country. WTF......

Is this the case or did I find a complete idiot working at Cablevision?

You must be new to Argentina ;) All bureaucracies (government, big companies, etc) in Arg are just like this: what you're told and what happens is 100% up to the whim of the bureaucrat that happens to be talking to you or dealing with it at that moment....

Businesses here are not able to accept international credit cards for monthly payments. Some small places accept local cheques. I think that is the law after the crisis of 2001. And, with fibertel/cablevision you agree for a plan that last a year and you cant cancel before that date.

Roxana said:
Businesses here are not able to accept international credit cards for monthly payments. Some small places accept local cheques. I think that is the law after the crisis of 2001. And, with fibertel/cablevision you agree for a plan that last a year and you cant cancel before that date.

I'm sorry but there is nothing but their own internal policies that prevents them from accepting international credit cards.

Payments from international cards can be challenged by the cardholder and refunded at the cost of the retailer. Banks will often take the cardholders side over an argentine retailer due to the high levels of card fraud in this country. This is the case for transactions where the retailer cannot confirm the buyers identity for all transactions. E.g. monthly debts for fibertel.

Roxana said:

Nonsense. I pay my Argentine health insurance with an international card. What you CAN NOT do with an international card is pay in 'cuotas' or installments.

BTW, on occasion they have made mistakes with automatic billing -- about three times over the last 6-7 years. Never in my favor and a huge effort to straighten out. Never an apology.

Roxana said:
Businesses here are not able to accept international credit cards for monthly payments.
Doesn't hold. I have been paying SuperCanal Argentina automatically (monthly payment) with an international credit card in the last eight months, it shows up as expected on my account.

I have been paying Cablevision/Fibertel automatically with a foreign credit card for over a year and it has worked fine.

sergio said:
BTW, on occasion they have made mistakes with automatic billing -- about three times over the last 6-7 years. Never in my favor and a huge effort to straighten out. Never an apology.

For that reason, I would never set up automatic billing on a CC in Argentina. From the stories I've heard, seems like auto-billing errors are not exactly a rarity, and that the process of getting the charges removed is a nightmare. I'd probably choose standing in line at Rapipago once a month over knowing that my CC information was floating around out there in the hands of these boobs.

starlucia said:
I'd probably choose standing in line at Rapipago once a month over knowing that my CC information was floating around out there in the hands of these boobs.

Good idea. Rapipago isn't so painful anyway.

I successfully pay my fibertel bill over the phone each month with an international credit card by calling this number: 4809-6000

No standing in a long pago-facil line or having your credit card number in the hands of boobs

Back