Finding things to enjoy in Buenos Aires

Lee said:
Cheap wine...cheap hookers.

Need I say more?

:)

Try both together and tomorrow might be a better day!

Trouble is they tend to have testicles:eek: The wines good though.:D

You can always make a habit of getting involved in Cinco Futbol matches too! Nothing like like playing futbol with Argentines on a small field... too much fun! Also I second the comment about Argentine's History, it is super intersting and makes walks/parks/street signs/Recoleta Cemetary much more interesting!

and i love it that i can take all sorts of tallers and classes.... puppets, life drawing, stone carving, dancing (and not just tango)... the cultural centers in each neighborhood are just amazing for classes and for stopping by and finding something going on,,,,

I am trying to find a better place mentally here and started seeing a therapist.

Pro: This is not as stigmatized as it is in the US/Canada and other areas of the world.

You definitely just don’t tell anybody you’re seeing a therapist if you live up here or they think you're koo-koo for co-co puffs..

People are too opinionated with being knowledgeable

I don't mind that, but I hate it when others are opinionated and unknowledgeable.

Unfortunately, this seems to be much more common..

Rescueme said:
I acknowledge that I am an obnoxious ass but I really appreciate the fact that many of you over looked this to offer your help and opinion about my problem with my neighbor making too much noise. I am trying to find a better place mentally here and started seeing a therapist. The first exercise she gave me was to list the things I like about Buenos Aires and the things I dont. I know there are many things that I am missing about what there are to like. I am hoping that someone can open my eyes to the things that I am missing.
DL

Good thing in BsAs
* Things are cheaper here
* There are more things to do
* It can be quiet sometimes
* It is easier to make friends here
* People are very social
* I can afford to see therapist once a week.
* Tai Chi/kung fu is cheap
* I get to kiss all the girls i meet.
* I can help people with their english.
* Cheap public transportation

When 40% of your "Good Things" list are based around affordability and the power of your dollar to buy you stuff, you'll never be happy here. Perhaps a good topic to explore with your therapist.

In my 4 years here the price of many things has more than doubled -- if I based my happiness around things being cheap, I'd be a miserable bitch by now.

Get on the train and go to San Isidro - it is peaceful and a great and easy day trip away from the city. Tigre also has a ferry ride that takes you to a small walking city- there are no cars and everyone gets around on a boat.

I love that I can sit in a cafe for hours and do not have to keep ordering things to stay. I also love that I do not have to worry about driving- and the shopping is fun. THere are so many local designers that come out with some fun and funky things. I also love that I can work until 9 pm eat dinner at 10- then take a nap and go out. There are great things- but you have to focus on them- instead of all the things you dislike. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy. The next time there is a super crowded subte- just laugh. It is a pretty funny thing to see. It will keep you from getting frustrated.

syngirl said:
When 40% of your "Good Things" list are based around affordability and the power of your dollar to buy you stuff, you'll never be happy here. Perhaps a good topic to explore with your therapist.

In my 4 years here the price of many things has more than doubled -- if I based my happiness around things being cheap, I'd be a miserable bitch by now.

Now we have the nub of it, why half of the posts here are either about how crap the place is or the price of coffee. If you find happiness in a cheque book, then you will not find it here. If however you look to beauty, pace of life, and relationships, then you are on the right road.

Start your list again. Make a list of all the things in the world that are important to you and make you happy, then look for a place to live that has alot of the items on the list and is affordable. Instead of trying to shoe horn yourself in BA. And, it might just be that someplace in Argentina is right for you or maybe Thailand, or?
Nancy

studiodio said:
and i love it that i can take all sorts of tallers and classes.... puppets, life drawing, stone carving, dancing (and not just tango)... the cultural centers in each neighborhood are just amazing for classes and for stopping by and finding something going on,,,,

I agree with you on this! I love taking classes & learning new things. I'd love to know where you are taking classes. Can you PM me some details?

Back