Fine Raised for Overstaying Visas

Samb4

Registered
Not sure if this has been published on this site yet, but just so all you know the fine (multa) for overstaying your visa just got raised significantly- from 50pesos to 300pesos. If you are from a Mercosur country, it is only 100pesos. So, this might make some people rethink just letting their visa expire and paying at the airport, since now it is a much bigger expense.

Cheers!

Actually, they have also raised the fee for extending your tourist visa in migraciones from 100 to 300 pesos as well. So really, as far as money goes, it´s the same - so it´s up to you whether you want to ¨risk it¨ at the airport. If you don´t plan on staying here long term, I would just risk it - migraciones is a total mess now, and I wouldn´t dream of spending 300 pesos to spend all day waiting in that mess. Go to colonia instead :)

Having been recently to the migraciones office, I can tell you there are some major changes underway. Most of them seem to actually be making the process more efficient. As well, the office is in much better condition with new systems, furniture and air conditioning. That should make for a more plesant experience once all is said and done.

KatharineAnn said:
Actually, they have also raised the fee for extending your tourist visa in migraciones from 100 to 300 pesos as well. So really, as far as money goes, it´s the same - so it´s up to you whether you want to ¨risk it¨ at the airport. If you don´t plan on staying here long term, I would just risk it - migraciones is a total mess now, and I wouldn´t dream of spending 300 pesos to spend all day waiting in that mess. Go to colonia instead :)

Has anyone paid this 300 pesos yet for renewing their tourist visa? I was in Migraciones 2 weeks ago and paid 100 pesos. Perhaps it really has changed since then, but I couldn't find any definite info. on it. I did notice that they had taken down the posters with all the prices listed.

can anyone tell me roughly how much it is to go to colonia?

I have to extend my tourist visa this week. Also, if I do end up going to migraciones, do I need anything besides my passport?

thanks!

Thanks Neil.

one other question. .i'm here with a startup company that will eventually open an office here and therefore i'll get an appropriate work visa. however, it'll probably be September before that happens...

I've been here since Feb so I need a new visa. Do you think a few tourist stamps on my passport will hurt me in any way? is it better to extend in migraciones or go just get a new one in Uruguay? or does it make any difference?

I'm paranoid coming from Thailand where the visa rules are insane..!

Thanks all, for any advice.

KateinBA posted this in another thread this morning.

KateinBA said:
Just wanted to share an updated story about my visit to the migraciones office:

After a few days trips to Colonia fell through I decided to take my chances in line at the immigration office for my visa renewal. Yesterday (first attempt), I arrived at 10 am and was told all the numbers had been given out for the day and I would have to come back tomorrow(today).

Today I arrived promptly at 7:30am and went to the prorrogas line. I was 4th in line at the time and after about 20 minutes of starting and restarting the computer they finally got the line moving. When I got to the front I said what I was there for and the 2 guys and 1 girl there said I could not renew my visa there. Now I don't speak perfect castellano by any means but we all understood eachother. We went back and forth for a few minutes making sure we were on the same page and I even went into "there are 3 ways to do this: leave the country, pay the fine, or come here." But I was repeatedly told that was not an option. There was no mention of an appt, etc. only that I must pay the multa(fee/tax/ticket) upon leaving. Which is now by the way 300 pesos instead of 50.

I am almost positive this isn't really the case as someone here posted they did it just last week... but after trying to ask several people and getting the multa related response I couldn't face standing in the by this point several hour long information line only to have no numbers left yet again.....

This is not a rant, just sharing my story, I should have done something about it earlier....I guess Ill have to pay the multa after all...too bad- good luck to everyone else though!

Also, if you do go (hopefully on a day with better informed employees?) this is a useful link I found explaining exactly what needs to be done:
http://sallycatway.com/?p=278

I doubt a few tourists stamps will hurt your chances of getting the work visa. Its obviously not a good idea to (illegally) overstay the initial 90 days if you plan on applying for a resident visa of any kind in the future.

I wonder what is going on at migraciones if Kate could not get the 90 extension from the prorrogas de permanencia...

Right SteveinbA. Sounds like a lot of things are changing around the last couple of weeks with migraciones. The link Kate posted as well for the blog had some interesting info too.
I've never been to Uruguay, so might as well see it for a day! sounds like much less of a hassle. and there's really no price difference now anyway.

And as I did in Bangkok before, if too many stamps cause problems, I can always get a new passport!

amat said:
Right SteveinbA. Sounds like a lot of things are changing around the last couple of weeks with migraciones. The link Kate posted as well for the blog had some interesting info too.
I've never been to Uruguay, so might as well see it for a day! sounds like much less of a hassle. and there's really no price difference now anyway.

And as I did in Bangkok before, if too many stamps cause problems, I can always get a new passport!
Try flypluna.com they do a midnight express flight for 50 USD from buenos aires to montevideo return.

Back