Fine Raised for Overstaying Visas

Wow, I did not realize this until now. My 90 day visa ends tomorrow. All of my friends (Argentine and foreigners) told me that it's not a big deal to overstay your visa and that it is cheaper than going to Uruguay. My parents come in 1 week and we plan on going to Uruguay, but my visa will be about a week expired. Would you recommend going to Uruguay tonight on the midnight express plane or just waiting the extra week?

steveinbsas said:
KateinBA posted this in another thread this morning.

I doubt a few tourists stamps will hurt your chances of getting the work visa. Its obviously not a good idea to (illegally) overstay the initial 90 days if you plan on applying for a resident visa of any kind in the future.

I wonder what is going on at migraciones if Kate could not get the 90 extension from the prorrogas de permanencia...

Sounds like she was renewing a residency visa though and not simply a tourist visa. Her other blog posts talk about a separate line and process for the tourist visa. It's a bit confusing though....

Sleuth said:
Sounds like she was renewing a residency visa though and not simply a tourist visa. Her other blog posts talk about a separate line and process for the tourist visa. It's a bit confusing though....

Hi Dave,

From my own experience, it has been possible to renew the tourist visa AND the resident visa at the prorrogas de permanencia.

Actually, I posted the following (though the quote makes it look like it was Kate's):

"I doubt a few tourists stamps will hurt your chances of getting the work visa. Its obviously not a good idea to (illegally) overstay the initial 90 days if you plan on applying for a resident visa of any kind in the future.

I wonder what is going on at migraciones if Kate could not get the 90 extension from the prorrogas de permanencia."

From my own experience, it has been possible to renew BOTH the tourist visa AND the resident visa at the prorrogas de permanencia, so I really wonder what is going on.

Fettucini said:
Try flypluna.com they do a midnight express flight for 50 USD from buenos aires to montevideo return.

This sounds great, but I was wondering...

Did that entrance fee for Americans of US$134 ever go into effect? :confused:

Because paying a total of ~US$184 > AR$300

However, if that fee never came to pass, then US$50 < AR$300

thanks

I was only trying to renew my 90 day tourist visa and they simply told me that was not an option. Again, I'm not sure if this is really the case now or if I encountered misinformed employees (although I ultimately talked to about 5 of them...)

Also you can tell they are undergoing changes because when the woman in front of me asked about prices (for other services) the employees had to go get a printout with the new prices that they all seemed completely unfamiliar with.

Also I have read that even if the renewal at the immigration office is still possible the price is now 300 pesos there as well- meaning going to uruguay(a bit cheaper), paying the multa, or doing the renewal is all about the same price.

I will probably leave the country sometime simply traveling before eventually returning home but does anyone know if the multa is only accepted in cash, at the airport, going to Uruguay, etc.? I'd rather not have to take lots of cash to the airport any not use it if I have to change it later...

who knows....

KateinBA said:
I was only trying to renew my 90 day tourist visa and they simply told me that was not an option. Again, I'm not sure if this is really the case now or if I encountered misinformed employees (although I ultimately talked to about 5 of them...)

Also you can tell they are undergoing changes because when the woman in front of me asked about prices (for other services) the employees had to go get a printout with the new prices that they all seemed completely unfamiliar with.

Also I have read that even if the renewal at the immigration office is still possible the price is now 300 pesos there as well- meaning going to uruguay(a bit cheaper), paying the multa, or doing the renewal is all about the same price.

I will probably leave the country sometime simply traveling before eventually returning home but does anyone know if the multa is only accepted in cash, at the airport, going to Uruguay, etc.? I'd rather not have to take lots of cash to the airport any not use it if I have to change it later...

who knows....

This is truly disturbing.

I hope others can add to this topic.

Lee said:
Well tourism is declining each month so they are trying to make those of us who are here pay more to make up for the decline in revenue. Forget that we pay too much in rent and spend pesos each and every day eating out and buying assorted crap!

Thanks a lot!

That's an interesting analysis, Lee, but do you really think there is an organized plot to recapture revenue losses?

Perhaps we shouldn't give credit when credit isn't due.

I really don't think that they are all that organized.

All of the fees recently increased in migraciones. I am sure there are several reasons for this. 1) The fees were artificially low for a long time (about 5 years), for example $200 pesos for temporary residency (about $55 USD) is on the low side. If you compare this to the US (which I am certain won't be popular with many people here) the fees in the US for the same type of transaction are about $1,200 USD. Even though I don't fully agree with such a large increase to $600 pesos for temporary residency, I understand that there are costs involved that have to be covered by someone. Too many people here think of Argentina as the "land of the cheap" and if that is the main reason you are here, then maybe you should really think about staying.

Davidglen77 said:
All of the fees recently increased in migraciones. I am sure there are several reasons for this. 1) The fees were artificially low for a long time (about 5 years), for example $200 pesos for temporary residency (about $55 USD) is on the low side. If you compare this to the US (which I am certain won't be popular with many people here) the fees in the US for the same type of transaction are about $1,200 USD. Even though I don't fully agree with such a large increase to $600 pesos for temporary residency, I understand that there are costs involved that have to be covered by someone. Too many people here think of Argentina as the "land of the cheap" and if that is the main reason you are here, then maybe you should really think about staying.

OK, Thanks for the input and the probing economic question (good food for thought), but the question remains:

Is it still possible the get the 90 day extension at the office of migraciones?

Back