Fine Raised for Overstaying Visas

Today, i went and didn't have any problems getting an extension for my tourist visa. Aside from the 3.5 hour wait from because of the lazyiness, there's weren't any issues. I can confirm that the fee is now 300 pesos, but i didn't hear of any issues like what Kate was mentioning. All you need is your passport and photocopies of your information page and the entry stamp page.

ps. When i left at 10 AM, i did see that they were still giving out numbers for the Prórrogas de Permanencia, so maybe that problem was just yesterday.

cujodu said:
Hmmm, just verifying, because there's a desk when you walk in the front door, but the numbers for renewing tourist visa is toward the back to the left down a hallway at a little desk.

Not sure about this, when i went yesterday and today they were issuing numbers for the Prórrogas de Permanencia at the little desk at the front door. That is where i got my number today.

So it's cheaper and more interesting to go on a relaxing cruise to Uruguay for half the day. No? Should only take a few hours more time too.

From my understanding (being there in March for a prorroga), they give out only 200 numbers every morning. This ensures the queue is processed by 2pm (the end of their shift?). We had #186 and saw the guy call up to 200, then say to himself "finally, done for the day". Shortly thereafter that whole section for prorrogas, etc, was emtpy. We were one of the last to leave.

But then again, things are changing as others have posted here, so I don't know for sure what they are doing now. ;)

yeah i have no idea what the deal was that day i guess. however i was definitely told to get my number at the back desk next to the prorragas area.this is where the woman the first day told me to come back to and a client told me to go, so it's odd they did it at the front today....? so im going with uninformed employees...and if it's 300 pesos no matter what i guess it doesn't really matter which option you choose.

2GuysInPM said:
From my understanding (being there in March for a prorroga), they give out only 200 numbers every morning. This ensures the queue is processed by 2pm (the end of their shift?). We had #186 and saw the guy call up to 200, then say to himself "finally, done for the day".

They're lazy, but they work short hours.

cavemanugh said:
Today, i went and didn't have any problems getting an extension for my tourist visa. Aside from the 3.5 hour wait...

ps. When i left at 10 AM...

What time did you get there? :confused:

Did you really get there at 6:30am?

Sorry, I can't count properly. I was only there 2.5 hours, from 7:30 AM - 10:00 AM but it felt like an eternity.

I've heard bad stories about Pluna. If anyone can comment, please do so.

Yes, I left BA on April 21 and it was 300 pesos. Other Americans in line were shocked too. The bank where you make your payment will only take Pesos or USD...NO CREDIT CARDS. There is an ATM outside the bank.

The American Airlines counter lady was so shocked to see the increase to 300 pesos as well.

What can you do. For that amount you might as well go to Colonia and enjoy the day.

BTW: No fuss from the person at the airport migration office. He was very nice, spoke excellent English and didn't give an attitude when I told him that I needed to pay the VISA fine.

Back