First Time In Buenos Aires And Want To Drive A Car

Slightly off topic:

I got myself an electric motorcycle. For the it's characteristics; it does not have to be 'patentado', as a result, no licence is needed. Insurance too is optional , but I got full coverage anyway for around $174/m. To the law, this is equivalent to a bicycle. But looking at it, it looks like any comparable naftero.

For me it's a relief to not have to take the colectivo daily. I get to work in 30-40 minutes in the morning when it used to take me 2 hours from Villa del Parque. The costs are almost nothing to operate and maintain. Since it doesn't burn fuel or require oil, it doesn't pollute and I bring it into the house at night. It's so very quiet. It's easy parking and pretty nimble getting past grid-locked traffic.

There are downsides. Namely taxis, colectivos, trucks :p , Then there is the range, I only get 45k with a max of 45-50k/h, so It's limited to urban use. I could say rain, but It hasn't stopped me yet, even during flooding I got to work and back.

OP, if the destination is not that far, could you see yourself on 2 wheels instead of 4?

Part of the tramite to get your drivers license here is a psychiatric evaluation. Really they want to be sure you do not have extreme ADD/ADHD so you can pay attention while driving.

Hi everyone,

I arrived last week to BA with my cycle. had a fun time with the customs as they wanted to charge duty me for it, but ended up allowing me to take it without any charges.

Now I have a Car from company to travel to Plant everyday, I have my International driving permit and my country license. But my company says you need to get a local license if you want to drive in Buenos aires also a blue card is required which they will issue once I have my local license.

Is it the process, as I am really surprised. Getting a DL will almost take me 1 month. I am here only for 3 months.

Please guys can you help me with this. Or what is the best way to excuse if got caught by a Cop without license,

regards,
Shoeb

I have spent years in Argentina and Chile (where I own a car). I no longer bother with an international driver's license, and have never had anybody question my California license at checkpoints (I've never been stopped for a moving violation, but that doesn't happen in Argentina anyway).

I have spent years in Argentina and Chile (where I own a car). I no longer bother with an international driver's license, and have never had anybody question my California license at checkpoints (I've never been stopped for a moving violation, but that doesn't happen in Argentina anyway).
How about a DRL on cars driven in BsAs? I have heard horror stories from Gringo overlanders that have gotten fat tickets there for day light headlight not being on while driving in Argentina, thus collecting tickets and payable on the spot to the Policias there and in US Dollars?.

Was that on a tourist visa or with a residency visa?

How about a DRL on cars driven in BsAs? I have heard horror stories from Gringo overlanders that have gotten fat tickets there for day light headlight not being on while driving in Argentina, thus collecting tickets and payable on the spot to the Policias there and in US Dollars?.

It's been a while since I've had the police attempt to get a coima from me. I have the advantage of being able to confuse them with broken Spanish, even though I understand everything they're saying, and they usually give up. With a couple really persistent types, I have threatened to call the US consulate.

I got fined in Entre Rios for no lights.

You soon learn. I can't remember the last time I turned them off! Which must amuse the local drivers some of whom for some bizarre reason leave theirs turned off at night and drive around half blind !

Slightly off topic:

I got myself an electric motorcycle. For the it's characteristics; it does not have to be 'patentado', as a result, no licence is needed. Insurance too is optional , but I got full coverage anyway for around $174/m. To the law, this is equivalent to a bicycle. But looking at it, it looks like any comparable naftero.

For me it's a relief to not have to take the colectivo daily. I get to work in 30-40 minutes in the morning when it used to take me 2 hours from Villa del Parque. The costs are almost nothing to operate and maintain. Since it doesn't burn fuel or require oil, it doesn't pollute and I bring it into the house at night. It's so very quiet. It's easy parking and pretty nimble getting past grid-locked traffic.

There are downsides. Namely taxis, colectivos, trucks :p , Then there is the range, I only get 45k with a max of 45-50k/h, so It's limited to urban use. I could say rain, but It hasn't stopped me yet, even during flooding I got to work and back.

OP, if the destination is not that far, could you see yourself on 2 wheels instead of 4?

Balls of steel! I would love to but I see how little regard drivers have for clattering into other cars, I would be a nervous wreck driving the length of Sante Fe on two wheels in the morning. I salute you sir.

I see Motorcycle riders zooming by between cars moving on snail's pace on the California freeways at commute times. It just freaks me out that these Bike riders squeeses through between cars at very brisk pace. Thank god for them that the US drivers respect staying in own lanes and never criss cross to other lanes. Imagined that happening in SA roads, the latin drivers are always driving taking two lanes at a time! So every Moto-Riders squeesing through between two cars would get hit and knocked down hard!

Back