First Time In Buenos Aires And Want To Drive A Car

I have spent years in Argentina and Chile (where I own a car). I no longer bother with an international driver's license, and have never had anybody question my California license at checkpoints (I've never been stopped for a moving violation, but that doesn't happen in Argentina anyway).

Problem could arise if you have an accident (hoping not) & the local insurance won't cover you since you are on a tourist visa (even more if your visa has expired = no visa).
OK, if you don't own property here, no risks, but if you kill a poor father of a family of three, then the family might not be able to get a dime.

I got fined in Entre Rios for no lights.

You soon learn. I can't remember the last time I turned them off! Which must amuse the local drivers some of whom for some bizarre reason leave theirs turned off at night and drive around half blind !

I have seen cars not just with the lights turned, but literally with no headlights or taillights - all of them broken or missing - but the police don't bother them because the owners can't afford coimas.

Problem could arise if you have an accident (hoping not) & the local insurance won't cover you since you are on a tourist visa (even more if your visa has expired = no visa).
OK, if you don't own property here, no risks, but if you kill a poor father of a family of three, then the family might not be able to get a dime.

I have never had a problem buying an Argentine policy to cover me. That's now obligatory for all vehicles coming from Chile, but I did so even before it was a requirement. I have never overstayed my visa.

Balls of steel! I would love to but I see how little regard drivers have for clattering into other cars, I would be a nervous wreck driving the length of Sante Fe on two wheels in the morning. I salute you sir.
HAHAHA, thanks for the vote of confidence.
Actually, Santa Fe was the first road I took to get back to work after I picked up my lectric (my name for it) from the dealership. It was an adventure. I had never been on a motorcycle before that, but you get used to it.

It does get scary sometimes when I go home in the afternoon... I take Independencia and you get all sorts there, but it´s not as bad as Cordoba. I stay to the sides mostly, but when I need to, I´ll get right in the middle and really tight situations. I make myself visible by not being so much like the idiotic motorcyclists that have no respect for anything. I´m fairly assertive, because some of these drivers have no respect for anyone on 2 wheels, but that´s not so common. Although I have types of cars (and their drivers) that I´ve developed prejudices for. I don´t know why, but Fluence drivers are real dicks :p 2 door Gol always cut me off then they get pissed off when they get stuck in grid-lock and I whiz right by.
That´s the icing on the cake for me. absolute parking lots on the street and I get home in the same time as I would any other day.
I would say ¨zoooom¨ but you wouldn´t even hear me coming.

I see Motorcycle riders zooming by between cars moving on snail's pace on the California freeways at commute times. It just freaks me out that these Bike riders squeeses through between cars at very brisk pace. Thank god for them that the US drivers respect staying in own lanes and never criss cross to other lanes. Imagined that happening in SA roads, the latin drivers are always driving taking two lanes at a time! So every Moto-Riders squeesing through between two cars would get hit and knocked down hard!
I´ve come close, but I am super alert, and can stop very quickly. I´ve come to learn the Argie driver. There isn´t any logic to how they drive. It´s caos out there, but if I don´t stand my ground, I would never get anywhere. I stubbornly maintain the rules of the road, despite the general Argie contempt for rule of order.

Thanks Everyone,
My problem is solved, i got blue card from my passport and got my Drivers License authenticated by Indian embassy, translated into Spanish legalised and thats it . Ready to go.

Gpop, I like your idea but I have to travel 80km daily. Back in India, where the everything is crazy including Traffic i use to ride my bicycle to office 8 km one way....

Back