Flagged By Immigration, Now What?

Benjammin4209

Registered
Hey there!

I'm currently living in BA and have been for 18 months. I'm here on a tourist visa which every 90 days I have to leave the country. I've been using a loophole which allows me to just go to Colonia for the day just to leave and re enter. Well they are starting to catch on and have flagged my passport for the next time. I am not a student, and My time left living here is limited (6-8 months). My question is if I choose to go back to the US for a couple weeks, will that take care of the flag I currently have on my passport for what the immigration officer called me, "a false tourist"? and will I be able to re enter to Argentina after spending a couple of weeks back in the states?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Have a look at this thread mate:
http://baexpats.org/topic/33728-probable-entry-denial-at-ezeiza-after-overstay/

The answer is probably no. Bajo_Cero, an immigration lawyer on this forum, has posted copies of at least one "deportation" letter. Technically, it's not deportation because you are never admitted in the first place. At any rate, the letter puts you back on a plane to where you departed from.

Bajo_Cero's advice is to overstay the visa, and just pay the fine when you leave. If you leave again before you leave permanently, you are likely to be refused entry, especially if they already wrote this in your passport (Was that flag put in the system? Or written?). When I first came to Argentina, I was a permatourist. I came and went over the period of 3 years, but never for more than 180 days. Therefore, they consider my "fecha de radicación" to be in August of 2008, not June/July of 2011 when I got my DNI. Thus, the only way to avoid this classification as a "false tourist" -- in my opinion -- is to leave the country for 180 days minimum.

I'm currently living in BA and have been for 18 months. I'm here on a tourist visa which every 90 days I have to leave the country. I've been using a loophole which allows me to just go to Colonia for the day just to leave and re enter.

There never was a loophole. What you have been doing has never been legal, although it has been tolerated. You never had to leave the country and reenter to "get" a new 90 day visa (and it was only "legal" the first time), but you could also have gone to migraciones and received a 90 day extension of your tourist visa (once).

Well they are starting to catch on and have flagged my passport for the next time. I am not a student, and My time left living here is limited (6-8 months). My question is if I choose to go back to the US for a couple weeks, will that take care of the flag I currently have on my passport for what the immigration officer called me, "a false tourist"? and will I be able to re enter to Argentina after spending a couple of weeks back in the states?

Migraciones has not just started to catch on. There have been dozens of threads and hundreds of posts about this. I believe one thread about a "crackdown" on "perma-tourists" (officially known as pseudo-tourists) was started in 2010. It looks like the crackdown has finally begun.

Follow Bradly's advice. Stay in Argentina until you plan to leave for at least 180 days, but now that you have been flagged, be sure to continue to pay attention to the subject here to (hopefully) find out if you can come back that soon.

Hey there!

I'm currently living in BA and have been for 18 months. I'm here on a tourist visa which every 90 days I have to leave the country. I've been using a loophole which allows me to just go to Colonia for the day just to leave and re enter. Well they are starting to catch on and have flagged my passport for the next time. I am not a student, and My time left living here is limited (6-8 months). My question is if I choose to go back to the US for a couple weeks, will that take care of the flag I currently have on my passport for what the immigration officer called me, "a false tourist"? and will I be able to re enter to Argentina after spending a couple of weeks back in the states?

What do you mean by flagged? Did they simply say something to you, or did they actually note something in your passport?

Flagged :- Its like when when we foro members flag each other, when we get irritated and dont wanna see the others posts.

Back