Flights to neighbouring countries

CPixie

Registered
Hi,

What's the best/cheapest way to get flights to neighbouring countries (Chile/Paraguay/Bolivia)?
Online? Local travel agent? (If so; can you recommend a good travel agent in BA central?)

Thanks!

Dolly

Registered
I always buy online, it's cheaper and convenient. There are many great sites but I use www.edreams.com It gives you a long list of all airlines flying to the destination you choose in price order.

CPixie

Registered
Thanks. I thought online was better – just thought I'd check after I read in a guidebook that local travel agents often have better prices.
Any thoughts on travelling from/to Paraguay? Visa is not the problem. It's just I heard that flights to/from Asuncion can be delayed quite a bit!?

SaraSara

Registered
mini said:

My sister flew PLUNA to Punta del Este because their advertised fare was only 20% higher than Buquebus. Then the airline started hitting her with surprise fees: boarding fees, luggage fees - there was a fee even for her carry-on, and other assorted expenses. She ended up paying almost twice what Buquebus charges, and swore never to fly PLUNA again.

That airline is poorly run - it was hard to get anyone to answer the phone in Punta del Este, and she had to go all the way to Maldonado to pay a fee, as the Peninsula office was "not authorized" to take payments.

I've been advised to fly LAN whenever possible - it is supposed to be the best regional airline.

I've been advised to fly LAN whenever possible - Aerolineas is in the middle of dispute between Spanish and government interests, and prone to wildcat strikes.

CPixie

Registered
Woow.... Sounds one cowboy operation! Thanks for the advice!

elhombresinnombre

Registered
CPixie said:
Any thoughts on travelling from/to Paraguay? Visa is not the problem. It's just I heard that flights to/from Asuncion can be delayed quite a bit!?

It depends on where you want to go and how valuable your time is to you. I always travel to and from Paraguay by bus but I don't generally need to go to Asunción and find it more convenient to spend about twelve hours getting to Encarnación and a couple of hours further to my destination. Even if I flew to Asunción I'd have hours more travel ahead of me to get to my destination. If Asunción is your final destination, I imagine that even with airline delays, airport location and checking in/checking out times it's got to be faster by air but whether it's fast enough to justify the cost differential is up to the individual.

mini

Registered
SaraSara said:
My sister flew PLUNA to Punta del Este because their advertised fare was only 20% higher than Buquebus. Then the airline started hitting her with surprise fees: boarding fees, luggage fees - there was a fee even for her carry-on, and other assorted expenses. She ended up paying almost twice what Buquebus charges, and swore never to fly PLUNA again.

That airline is poorly run - it was hard to get anyone to answer the phone in Punta del Este, and she had to go all the way to Maldonado to pay a fee, as the Peninsula office was "not authorized" to take payments.

I've been advised to fly LAN whenever possible - it is supposed to be the best regional airline.

I've been advised to fly LAN whenever possible - Aerolineas is in the middle of dispute between Spanish and government interests, and prone to wildcat strikes.

Wow! Sounds like a nightmare... :(
I guess I'll cross them off my list.

Neil

Registered
Sat at airport in Bsas for hours waiting for flight to depart to Montevideo....
Could have swam over faster....! :confused: