Floresta /Bajo Flores Korean Restaurant with Kalbi?

puan

Registered
Hi all,

I've been trying different korean restaurants in Floresta (for something spicy let's say. it's soooo good in this weather) and I am just wondering if any one know's any place that serves decent kalbi. Most of those I went to only had Bulgolgi/Kim Chi Jjgae etc although I was impressed by the fact that one has naengmyeon in this freaking cold winter and another has Sulungtang. I am slightly wary of going to Flores but as long as it's north of the autopista, I am probably fine.

Thanks in advance

Isnt the barrio close to the Carabobo station? If that's the case I would go there when it's still light and maybe take a cab back to the station. That would be around 6 - 8 peso or so

Going down Carabobo is your best bet, I've had kalbi in several places there. There are many restaurants with no signs outside just follow any crowds of Koreans - in some places they will try to make you leave because they think you're an Argie that can't handle spicy food but stand firm and you'll get in. If that's a little too bajo then there's one on Avelino Diaz on the other side of Curapaligue and another on Pumacahua north of Eva Peron.

There's some Korean place on Junin between Tucuman/Lavalle (ONCE, not Floresta) that doesn't really have a sign on the street. Just and open door and then you pass a waiting area to a door that actually is the entrance.

It's near Facultad de Medicina (just 2 blocks down Junin). And while in the area, if you like authentic Chinese food, there's a monstrous place on Corrientes between Junin & Ayacucho. The South side of the street. (That's the RIGHT side as you're going with traffic, or the side with even numbered addresses.)

They are always packed with Chinese people, but it's a bit on the expensive side and if you aren't Chinese, you will have a bit of trouble convincing them that you can handle spicy food. I went with a half-Korean girl who speaks really good Spanish and who makes spicy food at home and we still didn't get our food as spicy as the table next to us that was full of Chinese people. You could tell from the different in chilis floating in the fish soup-ish stuff.

Good luck

There's some Korean place on Junin between Tucuman/Lavalle (ONCE, not Floresta) that doesn't really have a sign on the street. Just and open door and then you pass a waiting area to a door that actually is the entrance.

That's Bi Won, the ambassador goes there, it's really good and while you probably won't quite get that standard on Carabobo it will be a lot cheaper (and rowdier).

My boyfriend is Korean-American and we go to Flores about twice a month for brunch and grocery shopping. We dont go at night. Bi Won isnt that good but it is in a better neighborhood. We go down to Carabobo. In the guia T (dont have one here right now because Im in the states) there is actually a block or two street called Corea (Carabobo and Castañares). We just take a cab there on Sundays and while its expensive ride ($30 AR each way!), I think its worth it. There are about 4 or 5 markets but we usually go to the same one or two. Mostly the market it what we go for but might as well eat while we are there. We eat at a place with a blue door with plastic in front of it and you have to walk up the stairs and ring the buzzer. (dont know what its called because I'm not Korean). It is Chinese owned but as good as what you get in LA. They always give me everything as spicy as everyone else (Im white). We went with some Argentine friends before and they even made them a special non-spicy soup. It's cool because there are a lot of immigrates from Latin America (Peru, Bolivia) eating there too. They also serve all day so we can sleep in and have a late Sunday brunch.

We cook a lot of Korean food at home (banchan and kimchi can be bought at the markets, as well as rice, ramen, and the expensive cans of spam). I miss spicy food so much sometimes if it wasnt for the Korean neighborhood I would be much more bored with eating. I make barley tea all the time at home too because I miss iced tea.

There is a safer part of Flores (perhaps technically Floresta) that has a concentration of koreans around the corner of Campana and Felipe Vallese.

Back