Fly / spinner fishing - where should I go?

TrevorCito

Registered
I have a question about fishing in Argentina and would like to give it a try but am unsure about where I should go this time of year. Does anybody have experience interstate fishing? Where did you go? What was your experience?

The fly fishing season opens in Patagonia in November. What is your experience level? Do you have your own gear here? What is your budget? Do you want to go to a lodge or go yourself?

We go to Patagonia fly fishing every year for 3-4 weeks a year for the last 7 years we been living here (we rent a car and mostly sleep in a tent near rivers but I do know some guides down there and am familiar with some of the lodges).

If you don't know anything and would love to learn to cast, I took casting lessons from the guys at Buenos Aires Anglers who I believe to be one of the best shops in the country/ We met in the park in Palermo and practiced in the lake there. I already knew how to cast but much improved through them. http://www.buenosairesanglers.com.ar/

Hi Vanessa

I can see myself hiring a car and fishing along the banks of patagonian rivers for sure. I used to do lots of fishing in Australia, the snowy mountains before moving here and it's something I want to get back into doing.

My main motivation for asking the question now has to do with the discount flights on offer by LAN, especially if you have points. For 20k oneworld points I can fly to bariloche return but I have to make bookings now or I'll loose a bunch of points that are about to expire.

Have you had any security problems? What type of car do you hire and who do you use?

Regards
Trev

Security as it getting robbed or something?

No it is very safe.

We usually rent a car here in Buenos Aires and drive all the way down there but we take our dog.

Do you have gmail or facebook or skype so we could talk on instant messages?

You could totally fly to Bariloche and then rent a car from there and camp or stay in cabins. The area around Junin de los Andes, Alumine, San Martin de los Andes and Bariloche is the best. Are you in Buenos Aires right now?

On another note, after 10 years together my boyfriend and I are getting married and will be headed to the South Island of New Zealand in November for fly fishing and sleeping in our tent next to a river.

I bought a 9ft travel fly-rod this year especially to explore some of the rivers here this summer. Interested to read more tips on rivers and destinations here.

Vanessa, that sounds like an amazing honeymoon!

We (my boyfriend and I) wouldn't mind meeting up for coffee and discussing rivers anytime.

A tip for here in Capital-
Strikefly
I also enjoy fly-tying and this place in Caballito has excellent equipment and supplies for such. They also have great facilities for teaching fly-tying 1-1 or in a group.
And of course they stock a decent range of fishing equipment.

Meeting up to discuss rivers would be great, especially considering that the season is afoot and the sheer size of the country is quite intimidating to someone trying to set out unguided.

We stayed at the Hosteria Paimun which is on Lago Paimun (near Junin de los Andes) btwn Xmas-NYE so the SO could do some fly fishing. His family goes there several times a year to fish. It's absolutely gorgeous. The hotel is in the national park. There were lots of camp grounds there as well. Absolutely gorgeous there and great fishing.

Once you are in the park, you feel like you are in a different world. The hotel has a generator so they have lights available at night but no tv, no phone, no cell service, etc.

Attachments

• 405205_2845622175152_1097329207_33237802_1198608981_n.jpg
    405205_2845622175152_1097329207_33237802_1198608981_n.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 5
Back