Food coloring anyone?

tbit

Registered
So of course Easter is coming and I can't find any food coloring to dye our eggs for the kids.

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks!

is called colorante, you can buy it in a cotillon, you know the places that sell party stuff, candles, cake decoration etc. it comes in a paste form and is about 5 pesos.

Vegetable dye can be found at some dietica shops. I spent an entire day searching. I've been to about 6 cotilion in V.del Parque, 4 pharmacies, 4 bakeries, even some art supply stores... nothing.
Finally, a dietica on Nazca had red, blue, and yellow in 30 cc bottles, a brand called Fleibor.

on the bottle:
Laboratorio Fleibor SRL, 30 de Agosto 162 - Tablada, phone 4652-8035

gpop said:
Vegetable dye can be found at some dietica shops. I spent an entire day searching. I've been to about 6 cotilion in V.del Parque, 4 pharmacies, 4 bakeries, even some art supply stores... nothing.
Finally, a dietica on Nazca had red, blue, and yellow in 30 cc bottles, a brand called Fleibor.

on the bottle:
Laboratorio Fleibor SRL, 30 de Agosto 162 - Tablada, phone 4652-8035
When I first saw your post I thought it said August 1962. In reality I wouldn't find that surprising. We recently bought some ink cartridges for a fountain pen and it turned out the ink was all dried up since the dusty old box was from the 1970s!

surfing said:
When I first saw your post I thought it said August 1962. In reality I wouldn't find that surprising. We recently bought some ink cartridges for a fountain pen and it turned out the ink was all dried up since the dusty old box was from the 1970s!
hehe, yeah, well that's BA commerce for ya. I bet they even wanted to charge as if it were an fine antique. Nothing seems to depreciate in value here no matter how old (and expired) it may be.
----------
A lesson learned:
I had originally went to look for red dye to tint Aguila chocolate frosting for a birthday cake for my wife thinking that there ought to be dye in the baking section at Coto or Carrefour. No dice; thats what lead me to my full day of searching.
When it came down to using the stuff, I found that it doesn't really set well with the fats in the chocolate and made the mixture harden too fast and in a kind of wet sand and wax texture developed. I started over just applying the white chocolate and then making the icing sugar frosting dyed red over the chocolate... this was my first cake ever!

I second using natural dyes for the eggs! Last year I used natural dyes, which worked beautifully. The best were red cabbage for a brilliant blue, beets for purple, and turmeric for yellow. Spinach came out brown, but a got a great turquoise when I double dipped the egg, first in turmeric and then in red cabbage.

Back