Food prices are amongst the highest of the planet

I have a receipt from 11 March 2009 for 1.103 kg lomo bought at a butchers in Mendoza.
It cost AR$ 26.50 = AR$ 24 per kg
In March 2009 AR$ 3.65 = US$ 1.00, es decir

1 kg lomo in 2009 cost close to US$ 6.60 (Dólar Oficial; Dólar Blue barely existed in 2009)
Today at the coto supermercado [1]
1 kg lomo cost AR$ 12,000 = close to
US$ 12.35 (Dólar Oficial)
US$ 8.65 (Dólar Blue)

- we remember that the value of the 2009 US$ is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1.46 today, so

1 kg lomo in 2009 had a value of close to 2024-US$ 9.65

[1] https://www.cotodigital3.com.ar/sit...unidad-1430kg)-x-kg/_/A-00035019-00035019-200
I'm getting lomo now at a carniceria near my house for 10000 pesos el kilo.

At today's blue, that's about US$ 7.20 el kilo.

And using MODO, I get a 35% discount (maximum discount of 6000 per week).

That brings the price down to about US$ 4.70 el kilo.

Don David is way above all
It's a good brand but there are lots of others that cost several times more. I thought Don David 2023 Malbec was very good value for money, especially as it is now under $5,000 a bottle if you buy three at Carefour.

It's a good brand but there are lots of others that cost several times more. I thought Don David 2023 Malbec was very good value for money, especially as it is now under $5,000 a bottle if you buy three at Carefour.
Don David Malbec is available at the local chino for $5500. Saves a trip and close to 20 K expenditure.

With the title of this thread in mind, based on prices I paid inthe past few days, I just calculated that I can buy and consume 1.5 lbs. (pre-cooked weight) of grass fed Argentine roast beef, in addiition to nine farm fresh xl eggs with bright orange yolks and cook them in refined beef tallow as well as drink two liters of bottled water and as much coffee as I desire every day of the month at a total cost just under $7.00 dollars per day (including the cost of the LP gas required to cook the meals and heat the water for the coffee and the cleanup).

I would be surprised if anyone knows about any other country on the planet where I could eat like this at a lower cost. Even if someone can, I don't think it will motivate me to relocate or start complaing about food prices in Argentina, even though my monthly income is most likely one of (if not) the lowest of any other active members of this forum who also live full time (year round) in Argentina.

Don David Malbec is available at the local chino for $5500. Saves a trip and close to 20 K expenditure.
Good price but how does it save a $20,000 peso expenditure when the cost is under $5,000 a bottle at Carrefour. Of course if you only want ONE bottle, better to buy it at the corner market.

With the title of this thread in mind, based on prices I paid inthe past few days, I just calculated that I can buy and consume 1.5 lbs. (pre-cooked weight) of grass fed Argentine roast beef, in addiition to nine farm fresh xl eggs with bright orange yolks and cook them in refined beef tallow as well as drink two liters of bottled water and as much coffee as I desire every day of the month at a total cost just under $7.00 dollars per day (including the cost of the LP gas required to cook the meals and heat the water for the coffee and the cleanup).

I would be surprised if anyone knows about any other country on the planet where I could eat like this at a lower cost. Even if someone can, I don't think it will motivate me to relocate or start complaing about food prices in Argentina, even though my monthly income is most likely one of (if not) the lowest of any other active members of this forum who also live full time (year round) in Argentina.
@Steve
Your posts from Puerto Madryn never fail to fascinate me. Your life style is not for the fainted heart. Absolutely amazing! All power to you.

Yesterday here in BsAs I bought one tomato $1973 el kilo $7500. Banana $3500 el kilo. On and on,,,,, I will not bore you. Seems those new reality prices haven't arrived where you are yet. Do you think that your situation will last for ever?

BsAs prices of any and everything in $US have no resemblance of the past. None whatsoever.

Back