Food revolution bypasses Buenos Aires

I've refrained form replying to this thread until today. Except for the expat lunches, I rarely eat in restaurants. The man who taught me how to cook (30 years ago) said it best, "Most people just don't know how to feed themselves." He also added, "Most people wouldn't eat in restaurants if they knew what goes on in the kitchen."

If a Peruvian "maid" can go shopping and cook these wonderful dishes here, so can the rest of us...except for those who expect to sit and wait to have everything they want served to them. Eating is easy. It takes effort to learn and it takes effort to shop and cook.

In my opinion, if you have the time, it's worth the effort, and it isn't all that difficult.

Anyone who has learned how to make "make" (sushi) rolls knows what I mean...

And you can buy all you need to make them here.

And so much more...buen provecha!

steveinbsas said:
If a Peruvian "maid" can go shopping and cook these wonderful dishes here, so can the rest of us...except for those who expect to sit and wait to have everything they want served to them. Eating is easy. It takes effort to learn and it takes effort to shop and cook.

In my opinion, if you have the time, it's worth the effort, and it isn't all that difficult.

So Steve, the real questions are:

1) Chef's knife (knives)
-What brand(s) and length(s) do you use?
-Where did you buy them?
-How much did you pay for them?

2) Pots & Pans
-What brand(s) and size(s) do you use?
-Where did you buy them?

3) Rice
-What grains do you use?
-Where do you buy them?
-Do you use a rice machine? Or do you use a pot?

4) Sushi
-Where do you buy your fish?
-Which types?
-Where do you buy your wasabi? (Or do you make it?)
-Where do you buy your seaweed paper?

Napoleon said:
So Steve, the real questions are:

1) Chef's knife (knives)
-What brand(s) and length(s) do you use?
-Where did you buy them?

2) Pots & Pans
-What brand(s) and size(s) do you use?
-Where did you buy them?

3) Rice
-What grains do you use?
-Where do you buy them?
-Do you use a rice machine? Or do you use a pot?

4) Sushi
-Where do you buy your fish?
-Which types?
-Where do you buy your wasabi? (Or do you make it?)
-Where do you buy your seaweed paper?

As I said, it takes (a little) effort.

steveinbsas said:
I've refrained form replying to this thread until today. Except for the expat lunches, I rarely eat in restaurants. The man who taught me how to cook (30 years ago) said it best, "Most people just don't know how to feed themselves." He also added, "Most people wouldn't eat in restaurants if they knew what goes on in the kitchen."

But your assumptions is flawed steve. Cooking at home & eating out are not mutually exclusive.

mini said:
But your assumptions if flawed steve. Cooking at home & eating out are not mutually exclusive.

Huh???????? "If" (is) that really what you wanted to say?

Cooking at home and eating out are mutually exclusive for those who have enough money to eat out (often) versus those who must cook at home, aren't they?

I don't assume, mini. I deduce.

Un beso.

Now, now, Steve: that's not nice! We should cut the non-English-speakers some slack: of course, that's not what "mini" really meant to say!

RWS said:
Now, now, Steve: that's not nice! We should cut the non-English-speakers some slack: of course, that's not what "mini" really meant to say!

Oh Robb,

It looks like you assumed something.

I know mini well enough (we've met) to know that her first language is English.

And I am nice.

Always have been.

My mom made sure that I know what that means.

And my dad proved it by example.

Bless them.

steveinbsas said:
. . . . I know mini well enough (we've met) to know that her first language is English.
Whoops! No further comment . . . about either.

steveinbsas said:
And I am nice.
No quibble here about the generality.

steveinbsas said:
Always have been. . . .
Now, I would be assuming, were I to agree with this, wouldn't I?

Thanks. I fixed my typo. I mean "is" which you did deduce.

It is not mutually exclusive. Steve & I have met, & he knows (or can deduce ;)) that I like to eat & eat well. So both me & my husband cook at home, but we also like to eat out. So, you can (and we do) both. We eat at home most of the week. Then we eat out maybe 3/4 times a month. Sometimes more. When I do go out I want to eat better than I do at home. I get grumpy when it's not as good, especially since I'm not a great cook nor a trained chef!

Last night I made penne, tonight we are going to Hermann's to try the "fish & chips". I'll let you know how it is.

RWS, sadly, my best language is English, although I know my writing is appalling! :eek:

RWS said:
Whoops! No further comment . . . about either.

No quibble here about the generality.

Now, I would be assuming, were I to agree with this, wouldn't I?

Regarding the last quote: "always have been (nice)"...of course, you have no way of knowing.

But since you and I have met, you certainly are entitled to your own opinion, whether you care to express it or not.

Back