Food revolution bypasses Buenos Aires

nikad said:
. . . . Which cities are really cosmopolite regarding food?
Well . . . almost any sizeable American city has a very wide range of commercially available (if too often ill-prepared) foreign cuisine, probably because we've had wave after wave of foreign immigrants arrive during the past four centuries. London and larger British cities, too, have a wide variety on offer: again, much toleration of foreign immigrants during the past few centuries (or should I have written, "since 1066"?). In my limited exposure, the same holds true in other large cities in the anglosphere -- Toronto, Sydney, and more.

Beyond that . . . . Well, the great cities of northwestern Europe, Paris, Berlin, and Amsterdam among them, certainly offer much variety. Elsewhere, unless one's to confuse the presence of North American fast-food chains with availability of "fine cuisine" . . . .

Let me just say that my Argentine partner and I returned from two weeks teaching tango on a magnificent cruise ship (Radiance of the Seas). The food offered was varied, delicious, abundant. I enjoyed sushi, Thai, Indian, Mexican, leg of lamb, sea food, vegetables of all types, etc. Ruben ate beef, pork, potatoes, bread, lettuce, and ice cream. Period. He had no interest in trying anything new. This is very Argentine, I'm afraid, along with a fear of eating something "strange" and/or "very flavorful."

What can you do?

I think in a lot of the 'developing world' what is considered ethnic or exotic food is mostly the exclusive domain of the moneyed minority, which makes me wonder if we perhaps expect too much from Buenos Aires in terms of culinary diversity because on the surface it looks so familiar and European. Maybe Bombay or Dakar would be better reference points (although I can't deny the local cuisine in such places is a little more flavoursome than in BA)

Pericles was right about Australia. It was a culinary backwater until the mid to late eighties when some critical mass of locals finally got fed up with meat pies, potato salad etc. The culinary landscape changed forever and experimentation and innovation became almost mandatory. I am always looking for signs of this same process in Buenos Aires but its hard to be optimistic at times.

tangocherie said:
Ruben ate beef, pork, potatoes, bread, lettuce, and ice cream. Period. He had no interest in trying anything new. This is very Argentine, I'm afraid, along with a fear of eating something "strange" and/or "very flavorful."

And yet I'm sure Ruben will eat the innerds of a cow.

gouchobob said:
My friend has since moved on to another posting but the maid stayed on and went to work for an upper class Argentine in B.A. Her new employers do not wish to even sample the Peruvian dishes she can make. They insist on the usual bland Argentine fare. She buys other food out of her own pocket and prepares it separately to get a decent meal.

My guess is that this is what she would experience in many B.A. homes.

I think you're probably right about the maid. This happens to many Paraguayan maids, too. There food is so distinct from the food here, and sadly it's not likely to become as widely popular as Peruvian food. The only Paraguayan restaurant my boyfriend and I have been able to find is in Constitución.

This has been a great thread for the reason that so much people want change and believe that the problem is cultural and not other reasons like lack of supply.

A country as rich as this one with more natural ingredients and supplies should be a world leader in new food fusions. We do see that the wine industry has improved out of sight in the last 5 years due to people demanding changes.

I am confident that Buenos Aires will break down its food barriers and there are some positive signs of this especially in the Palermo, Belgrano Neighbourhood. There are some excellent restaurants here as we all agree but what is really needed is flavoursome fast food that is reasonable in cost. Will this happen with high rents I do not know but an easing or restrictions of street stalls that serve ethnic foods will be a step in the right direction.

nikad said:
Trying to go back to the original topic: There are many different options and ethnic places that recreate different cuisines with more or less talent.
I think that generally expats are regarded as snob when they say that they crave for good Thai, or Chinese, or Sushi, or Vietnamese, etc, basically because for Argentines in general any ethnic cuisine is regarded as snob and pretentious ( well, the crazy prices do not help to make them any more popular ) and fail to understand that in many other countries ethnic cuisine is as popular and even cheap as a slice of pizza.
Think that for example McDonalds only made it to the country in the mid 80´s. Chinese food only got accepted in the early 90´s, sushi only showed up in the late 90´s, etc. I remember when I used to be one of the very few that would go to the Chinese neighborhood in Belgrano: it was 2 blocks, 3 stores, no Argentines buying anything or even wondering around... and that was just 14 yrs ago! I used to roll my own sushi back then as no restaurants would serve it.

When I talk about a lack of food "diversity", I don't necessarily mean "ethnic" diversity or super exotic foods. I find there isn't even too much local variety. As I mentioned about I love Spanish tapa because they are so diverse. There are so many different Spanish dishes, ways of cooking each thing, tapas, regional difference, etc. Italy as well has great variety. And just think, these are small countries with mostly homogeneous populations up until recently.

Diversity doesn't necessarily have to come from super far away with exotic ingredients that aren't indigenous.

This topic is not about critisizing Argentina and Argentinians but making them aware that many people new and old find the food and food choices lacking.
Soul and passion is what makes great cooking and a country that has produced the Tango can certainly produce a incredible cuisine using the great ingredients that Argentina offers.

In regards to restaurants I am very pleased to announce that our next meal for Ba Expats will be at a incredible restaurant called Casa Felix where passion and fantastic food are served in a very warm setting. This special event for only 18 people will be for the Sixth of May 2009 and all details will be announced in the coming days.

I will not be in BsAs on the 6th, or I would definitely go.

The roasted mate drink he served with dessert was amazing- hope you get some of that.

I can't say that I haven't found good food in Buenos Aires. Although I agree with the standard middle class home food argument, I have found some very interesting restaurants.
If you like Peruvian, try out Sipan. It's in a gallery on Paraguay 624, corner with Florida. The same owner of Osaka, this is a more casual, but neat setting, with traditional peruvian food. The prices are also much lower than Osaka. There fone number 43150763. Try it out, and if you like it let me know so I can tell you more.
Hope it helps you in turning the food experience around here a little more enjoyable!

Back