For those of you without a full time job, what do you all do in Argentina?

I am retired here. Pre pandemic, I went out almost every night. Either dancing, or free concerts, or dinner with friends. In the day, going to all the wonderful little museums, exploring the city, taking classes, traveling the country, going to the nature reserve, taking tours of the wonderful buildings, taking the train out of the city on day excursions, or just sitting in the park in the sun sipping my Matè and enjoying the day.

Thanks for the info on the cultural events/meetups! Are most people on this forum married/have families? I was wondering how different things would be for a single person (FYI I'm a single guy in my mid 30s, not looking for a partner lmao just trying to see if there's anyone else in my demographic/age range).

At this point of life, I am still in the game full time. It doesn't feel like work because I enjoy what I do, but I won't fool myself either, it is work!

I still want to weigh in though because I think I have a clear idea of what my life will be like when the time comes:

Each and every day placing self and loved ones first. That is the top of my list. Second, pursuing interests. Then everything else!

Thanks for the info on the cultural events/meetups! Are most people on this forum married/have families? I was wondering how different things would be for a single person (FYI I'm a single guy in my mid 30s, not looking for a partner lmao just trying to see if there's anyone else in my demographic/age range).
Look into joining Internations. They have a large choice of activities. It tends to be a younger age group ,under,40s. People from all over. Also the Facebook page Buenos Aires Expat Hub has lots of what is going on in the city.

I'm in your demographic range, but don't live full time in BA. I'm there three months a year, working remotely. In BA I'm eating around, boozing, mastering Spanish (or what the Argentines like to call Spanish), sinking into maker/artisan culture, walking a lot.

I'm super into architecture and construction so take a lot of photos and post online.

Traveling regionally is also super fun - Santiago, Valparaiso, Lima, but also in Argentina and even sleepy Uruguay.

Once I'm a citizen/permanent resident I'd probably become some sort of activist for the Subte and the proposed RER project.

Before this covid-19 saga, I had planned to apply to UBA to do a PhD in economics, with the idea of knocking out the coursework while working remotely, then doing the dissertation as a sort of hobby over the subsequent 3-4 years.

I think having a project, maybe not quite like a PhD but something significant and tied to the city, can make the experience of BA a lot richer. Many people here take up the tango with a goal of mastery, for instance, and make a lot of friends and have a lot of non-tango experiences along the way.

For the last 10 years the subject has not been addressed , maybe it's taboo , ?

What is a single person to do in BA if needs to meet a partner..! Of any age..! All other needs have been extensively covered from hair coloring to pedicure, massage, Some may mention Internations or Duo lingo et.al.
There must be some serious expertise in the Forum..! Just saying..!

Reactions: Moe
What is a single person to do in BA if needs to meet a partner..! Of any age..!
In my experience, the best bet is by is pursuing our own interests - that's where we find people we can connect with. Works great for making friends, too.

Buenos Aires has hundreds of classes, workshops, clubs, associations, etc., to suit every taste. Join those which suit your interests - worst case, even if you don't find your life's partner, you'll have fun during the search.

For the last 10 years the subject has not been addressed , maybe it's taboo , ?

What is a single person to do in BA if needs to meet a partner..! Of any age..! All other needs have been extensively covered from hair coloring to pedicure, massage, Some may mention Internations or Duo lingo et.al.
There must be some serious expertise in the Forum..! Just saying..!

Us old farts use it differently from the youngsters. For the under 30's, it's about the casual hookup. The over-50's use it like a dating app, to seek a long-term partner for a relationship. I suppose you could say the two are opposites.

Also, if you go walking in the Bosque Palermo, specifically in the area right around the lake, early on a summer morning, say 0700 to 0830. there are a lot of over-50's looking to meet someone. By 0900 the old timers are gone and the young professionals are out jogging.

The above is based solely upon my own entirely subjective experience; your mileage may vary.

In Washington, DC, the best place to find a date used to be the Georgetown Safeway's produce isle. Never tried it myself, but people I knew did.

Haha thanks for all the ideas - I guess it ultimately boils down to what it is that I want in my life (what a difficult question!).

On an unrelated sidenote do any of you have experience in getting a rentista visa? I've been hopping in and out of the country to Uruguay/Chile/Brazil to renew my 90 days but I was contemplating if it'd be a good idea to get a proper DNI?

Back