For those of you without a full time job, what do you all do in Argentina?

Haha thanks for all the ideas - I guess it ultimately boils down to what it is that I want in my life (what a difficult question!).

On an unrelated sidenote do any of you have experience in getting a rentista visa? I've been hopping in and out of the country to Uruguay/Chile/Brazil to renew my 90 days but I was contemplating if it'd be a good idea to get a proper DNI?

There's not really a point to getting one if you have the ability to keep up a tourist visa.

There's not really a point to getting one if you have the ability to keep up a tourist visa.

good point, I have 2 passports so I alternate between them when I cross the arg border, not actually sure if the Migraciones guy can see the details of both my passports on the computer at the same time though haha

Unless maybe you need a local bank account. If you can pick up dollars in one of your travels I don't see you needing one.

Also, if you go walking in the Bosque Palermo, specifically in the area right around the lake, early on a summer morning, say 0700 to 0830. there are a lot of over-50's looking to meet someone. By 0900 the old timers are gone and the young professionals are out jogging.

The above is based solely upon my own entirely subjective experience; your mileage may vary.

The area you describe in the Bosque de Palermo near de Lake is a known place for pick-up of travestis . To walk in that area is pretty daring..!

The area you describe in the Bosque de Palermo near de Lake is a known place for pick-up of travestis . To walk in that area is pretty daring..!

The travestis used to congregate around Plaza Serrano. That become a mess, so they moved to the Rosedal. When that, too, was trashed, they moved to the park around the Lago de Regatas. Now that area is filthy, too, full of discarded condoms. My cousin used to walk her dogs there, but cannot do that any longer. Nor can families picnic on Sundays, as the area is a minefield of condoms, used toilet paper, and human feces.

If the travestis cleaned up after themselves, they probably would not be so disliked by the locals. They complain about being persecuted - perhaps if they were better neighbors people would be more accepting.

Last edited:
See recents posts on the separate thread on Argentina's wealth tax. That tells you all you need to know about the risks and futility of going down the Rentista route. I was on that path myself for over two years, but abandoned it due to its complexity (Migraciónes simply couldn't process the application, despite it being impeccable, having been put together at considerable cost) and because the new tax rules now make it a suicide mission.

good point, I have 2 passports so I alternate between them when I cross the arg border, not actually sure if the Migraciones guy can see the details of both my passports on the computer at the same time though haha
This is a very good question that I have often wondered about (being in the same position of having two passports): Can they see on their system that the person entering Argentina on one passport is the same person who left the previous day on another passport?

1. No, the muchachas con manija hang out over near the backside of the Hipódromo.
2. We're not talking about pickups for casual sex. We're talking about meeting people for long-term relationship.
3. Seriously, you think just walking in proximity to transvestites is dangerous? Really? Like, they have cooties or something? Or it's contagious?

2. We're not talking about pickups for casual sex. We're talking about meeting people for long-term relationship.

Do you think a sex working trans person would be no good for a long term relationship? They probably make a good amount of money, may even have their own house, and are certainly independent. Wasnt that the list some of you were talking about a while ago?

Do you think a sex working trans person would be no good for a long term relationship? They probably make a good amount of money, may even have their own house, and are certainly independent. Wasnt that the list some of you were talking about a while ago?

You first. Show us how it's done.

Back