For those of you without a full time job, what do you all do in Argentina?

It is filthy, too - full of discarded condoms. My cousin used to walk her dogs there - now that's impossible.
This is a very good question that I have often wondered about (being in the same position of having two passports): Can they see on their system that the person entering Argentina on one passport is the same person who left the previous day on another passport?

If the name is the Same ..? maybe--? the system would be puzzled. I doubt it if you have 2 identities wouldn't be admitted..? If not Interpol could be fooled a piacere--!

1. No, the muchachas con manija hang out over near the backside of the Hipódromo.
2. We're not talking about pickups for casual sex. We're talking about meeting people for long-term relationship.
3. Seriously, you think just walking in proximity to transvestites is dangerous? Really? Like, they have cooties or something? Or it's contagious?

As far As I hear..Take Notice

1. The Location of the Con Manija sex workers, is next to the BA Tennis Lawn Club, but never mind give or take a mile more or less,
  2. The individuals that walk around that Area at 7 a.m. are not searching for long-term relationships
  3. As you may know from Police Reports transvestite prostitutes are armed and can rob you and leave you bleeding in the woods, not too many report it since they are "De Trampa". transvestites also sell cocaine and pills, transvestites have pimps watching in the dark checking license plates of pickupers to protect their partners they can be aggressive, transvestite sex workers die young due to high rate of HIV contagious..! Walking in that area is NOT advisable. There is a crowd of young men hidden waiting to rob an unsuspecting Tourist to get money for drugs or a job in the dark..!

Last edited:
As far As I hear..Take Notice

1. The Location of the Con Manija sex workers, is next to the BA Tennis Lawn Club, but never mind give or take a mile more or less,
  2. The individuals that walk around that Area at 7 a.m. are not searching for long-term relationships
  3. As you may know from Police Reports transvestite prostitutes are armed and can rob you and leave you bleeding in the woods, not too many report it since they are "De Trampa". transvestites also sell cocaine and pills, transvestites have pimps watching in the dark checking license plates of pickupers to protect their partners they can be aggressive, transvestite sex workers die young due to high rate of HIV contagious..! Walking in that area is NOT advisable.
Some time ago I took a remise driven by a policeman, moonlighting for some extra money. Told me he used to be stationed on Plaza Serrano but got sick of dealing with travestis who, in his words, were "unpredictable as women but strong as men". After being beat up several times, he got scared and requested a transfer.

This is a very good question that I have often wondered about (being in the same position of having two passports): Can they see on their system that the person entering Argentina on one passport is the same person who left the previous day on another passport?

I would suspect that if they were to look up your file in detail for whatever reason they could definitely find out that you have two passports given that you've used both to enter the country at some point in time and so this should be somewhere in migraciones' records.

However having done quite a few border crossings it seems to me that they 'scan' your passport and your details automatically pop out in the computer, and they don't have to type in your personal details as they might have used to before things became digitalised. So my guess is that under normal circumstances when you enter/leave the country they won't necessarily know you have 2 passports.

Sooooooo, how about those Padres?

Currently second in the NL West, and they play the Rockies tonight.

Hi, this is a question I've always wanted to ask expats/immigrants who don't have a full time job here in arg. What do all of you do in your day to day lives (pre-coronavirus)? I've been in BA for about a year now (on a sabbatical of sorts) and prior to corona I used to go on trips around the country once or twice a month, so for me it's mostly about relaxing and escaping from the stressful life that I had back home.

Over the past few weeks I've started to seriously consider my future life/career path and although on paper it seems that I would have enough money to live quite comfortably in Argentina without working, I can't really imagine what I'd be doing on a daily basis for the next few decades if I were to stop working for good. So, for those of you that are here to stay in the long run, what do you do to keep yourselves entertained?
I rent a studio with other creative types and make artwork.

Haha thanks for all the ideas - I guess it ultimately boils down to what it is that I want in my life (what a difficult question!).

On an unrelated sidenote do any of you have experience in getting a rentista visa? I've been hopping in and out of the country to Uruguay/Chile/Brazil to renew my 90 days but I was contemplating if it'd be a good idea to get a proper DNI?
Given all the uncertainty with Argentina's new wealth tax and the possibility that Migraciones is likely to, or at some future point will be sharing info with AFIP ... you could be setting yourself up for a problem if you have significant assets to protect.

Back to the original question- my wife and I have a studio, and we make artworks. We also have a ton of friends we hang out with, go see a lot of live music (usually 3 or more nights a week) we go see museums and art shows, and explore the city constantly.
We actually spend some time maintaining our 100 plus year old apartment- I tend to do most things myself, except painting walls.. Plumbing, electrical, fixing the 100 year old stained glass- there is always something.
We cook a lot.
I am working on seeing all five railroad museums in greater buenos aires. 3 down- Retiro, Avellenada and Remedios de Escalada. I still need to get to Villa Lynch and the big Scalabrini one in Haedo. I recommend riding the little tranvia loop on Rivadavia, too, if you are at all a railfan.
I spend a fair amount of days going to lunch in a barrio I dont know, and wandering around, taking pictures.
I am a fan of architecture, and there are amazing buildings in pretty much every barrio. And I am a blacksmith, and the metalwork everywhere is world class- I have taken thousands of pictures, and even written about it for US blacksmithing publications.

M
good point, I have 2 passports so I alternate between them when I cross the arg border, not actually sure if the Migraciones guy can see the details of both my passports on the computer at the same time though haha
My understanding is that the file search is based on name and date of birth. My British passport number changes every time I renew it but they still know all my entrances and exits.

Back