For urgent adoption: a great mix mastiff/labrador, young and healthy, great personality

French jurist

Registered
For those who know me, I'm one of the dog lovers of the forum (many of us) and I have now +6 with the last one being a blind puppy (I can't have more dogs although I was already saying that when I had two).

A new dog from the street appeared today in my barrio cerrado.

It's an impressive dog with the same kind of massive body as the Mastiff (including a large head & big jaws) but with sweet eyes & personality of a Labrador (He has Labrador eyes in fact, it inspires the same trust).
He's young (less than 2 years old in my opinion) and seems to be perfectly healthy.

I've crossed him four times today (he stays at the entrance of my barrio cerrado). First time I called him, he came moving his tail, looking happy (impressive dog but with a very trustful personality).
Second time, I was coming back from the butcher with meat + fresh bones for the doggies. I stopped when we crossed ways and I gave him one of those big bloody bones. He took it delicately within his jaws. Perfect dog here too.
Later on, I saw him facing three dogs of a same house, including males (all smaller though), who usually are quite aggressive. They smelled at each other’s, this big dog moved his tail, others weren't motivated to be aggressive. Great guardian dog (he doesn't get scared too easily, is peaceful but inspires a lot of respect).

But most of all, he seems indeed to have a fantastic personality (dog able to kill someone but with a very balanced & friendly attitude like Labrador's and such).

This dog seems perfect for someone who wants a protective & impressive dog who is not a potential danger.

He's not too tall (more than a Labrador though), but weighs likely 50/55 kg. That's better since taller breeds have many bone problems.

I'm afraid he gets hit by a car (ruta 8 is 60 meters away from where he is now), or he could be taken by people who will try to use the fighting capacities of this dog.

If someone is looking for such a dog, better hurry (we are Oct. 21st, I'm not even sure I'll see him tomorrow). It's an excellent thing he's like 18 months old (no need to suffer of the destruction power of puppies -dog lovers will understand that one, lol).

Only things to take into account:
It's obviously a dog that needs exercise (people ready to lock-in their dog 10 hours in an apartment during the day: pass your way, thanks). On a good side, even people who know little about dogs could adopt him (seems easy going, sincerely). And of course remember that he's likely to live for 12-14 years, which means the person adopting him will need to support for his needs until year 2023/24 or so.

PS: I tried to place a Beagle last year on this forum, and I mentioned problems this Beagle had (check my history), to be sincere. But for this dog today, I don't see him any defect, but many advantages.

I can bring him to Capital by car on Tuesday.

And the pics (he has Mastiff blood, right?):

chien0.jpg

chien1-1.jpg

chien2.jpg

Oh what a love. Wish I could take him but our mastiffs don't do well with adult dogs so we can't bring any on property :(

For anyone considering, mastiffs typically are a lower energy breed so while they are large, they actually require less exercise than many smaller breed dogs.

Negrito y rubio

Beautiful dog. Can see the Lab in him but less sure about the Mastiff parentage. My sister in law is a Vet I'll ask her opinion..

We live in a flat and not fair to keep a dog. La portena is dog mad and the street strays break her heart.

Update I emailed my sister in law (who also breeds labs) and she says - Certainly looks like a possibility. The ‘yellow’ in the labrador is recessive and so will be overruled by the brindle from the mastiff . The shape is more labradorish though

Looks like a fila brasilera lab mix! My husband's family had 2 filas that passed away from old age last year.

I will talk to my husband. We already have too many dogs... but my sister in law has a less than 2 year old lab that I think would love a playmate.

Little update:

I took him to my house this morning to inspect him a bit further.

He suffers a bit of mange/scabies (easy to cure though). Aside of that, he's perfectly healthy.

As for his personality:
He's really lovely with humans (rolled over his back, his legs in the air, for me to caress his stomach), 100% safe.

He's quite dominant though with other males (very common) and I had two close calls with my two big males (he went a bit like "grrrr" but without attacking, hopefully my dogs are not agressive). With my female dogs, no problem, even a small one who showed her teeth to him.
So he's not purely agressive (won't attack all of a sudden), but is quite dominant with males, important thing to take into account.

I change my recommandation to: for dog owners with a minimum of experience.
I'd keep him if I had no males, because he is really easy going apart of his dominant trait with males. He loves contact with humans.

Back