forced friendships

not-so-fancy-nancy- you need to stop inhaling nail polish remover fumes. she wasn't dissing on you specifically, and yes, we're all so impressed that you whipped out david lynch you faux-pretentious hating wannabe

jennie - you sound cool. i'm 25f, australian, and arriving on the 3rd may for 6 months. email me, we can go see a snobby foreign film and chain smoke on my balcony ;) [email protected]

I moved here after 6 years in Los Angeles, but grew up in a small mid-western town. I can say the people here are very similar to those in Los Angeles, in fact life is very similar... people are preoccupied with their own lives, busy, not-interested in making time for new people. I've been here two years, I came to be with my partner. Most of my attempts to reach out to locals or expats have met with brick walls. I admit I will NOT make random trips to Palermo, where everyone seems to be (not that I know for sure or that I'm 'stalking' anyone as one of our fellow members suggested yesterday, but then removed his post). There are a lot of people who only look at the value of friendship from the point of view of what's in it for them. (Yes, worldwide, but especially here (an in SoCal).) I tend to be more of a giver than a taker in relationships in general.

Your ¨not typical?¨ Your commentary strikes me as absolutley typical of what I found in the US and why I live here. Your whinny, simplistic, and if not arrogant lacking in humility.

I am not saying this to be harsh, I am advising you to study the native women, you will learn alot.

Of course if you are super hot, I can recant all this for salesmanship purposes given the opportunity and tell you how great you are. I have been learning from the Argentines.

Alot of what happens in terms of relationships with casual friends has to do with where you live. When I first moved to Argentina, I lived in Microcentro, not a place to make friends at all, I then moved to Barrio Norte, which was somewhat more friendly but became more and more transient as time went on. Last year when I moved to Villa Urquiza I found really nice people and awesome neighbors who will do anything for you I feel like I am back with my old time neighbors when I was a kid!!

Davidglen77 said:
Last year when I moved to Villa Urquiza I found really nice people and awesome neighbors who will do anything for you I feel like I am back with my old time neighbors when I was a kid!!

I'm wondering where did you grow up Davidglen77?

I am originally from New York City, having lived on the Upper West Side, The Bronx and Westchester County. Moved to Buenos Aires in 2007.

So the other night in bed, Jennie and I were taking a break, I was eating a sandwich and she was smoking of course, but I asked her to blow it towards the window...

Anyway, she turned to me and said "You know, I don't think you're someone I'm going to be longterm friends with." And I thought for a second and replied "Meh, I'm ok with that."

Davidglen77 said:
I am originally from New York City, having lived on the Upper West Side, The Bronx and Westchester County. Moved to Buenos Aires in 2007.

I only asked because I grew up in a town of less than 5,000 people in rural Missouri, so I figured we had different perspectives. This ain't rural Missouri! haha :eek:

Back