Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

Fun fact or data point. I had to make a en emergency purchase of a set of JBL active noise cancelling Bluetooth EarPods at the AEP duty free. I paid with my Apple Card (MC) 103 USD. Mind you, I paid in USD, not ARS because I didn’t have my Mercado Pago card with me. I was just refunded and the purchase ended up being 58.61 USD. I was not expecting a refund because I paid in USD. Does this mean that at the duty free in Argentina, even if you pay in USD, their POS system pesifies it?
While the prices are displayed in USD at the register they covert it at the official rate and you pay in pesos. MC then converts that using the MEP rate. Hence the rebate you got.

While the prices are displayed in USD at the register they covert it at the official rate and you pay in pesos. MC then converts that using the MEP rate. Hence the rebate you got.
Thank you. It was a nice surprise indeed 😂.

What the K economists (oxymoron, I know) are now pitching that this action with the tourist cards is part of a broader scheme to deliver one of Alberto's goals by the end of his mandate in 2023: "What I would like most is that the exchange market is unified."

Seems reasonable, right? Until he continues talking, as usual:

We should have a single exchange market. When Néstor was president we had a single dollar market, and Cristina throughout her administration had a single dollar market. What happens is that, I insist, we received a Central Bank without dollars.”

I was a kid during Nestor's admin, so I can't comment on personal experience there, but saying there was a single dollar during Cristina's admin is just straight up gaslighting, I know because I lived through it. I was a temporary resident which meant I had no access to credit cards, and debit cards didn't work for online purchases. I had to buy dollars on Florida street and then give them to friends to use their cards to buy gifts for my family for Christmas abroad. He's literally trying to re-write the past. Even if you're generous and say he was talking about the MEP/CCL, there was a brecha there too, albeit less than today during Cristina's presidency.

Finally, let's remember the date the exchange rate split occurred and the black market dollar returned with vengeance, and why there were no longer any reserves 4 months later. It was Monday, August 12th, 2019. I wonder what happened the day before to cause such a thing...

that is such horse shit.

i also exchanged many times at the blue rate during cristina's tenure.
I never understand who they're trying to fool, kids born in the 2000s/2010s? Seniors will dementia? This isn't 60 years ago, we all remember it well; I remember getting between 7 and 8 pesos per dollar when I first visited Argentina, I don't even have to check the historic blue exchange rate, I just remember it as it was the first country I visited with a forex black market.

I never understand who they're trying to fool, kids born in the 2000s/2010s? Seniors will dementia? This isn't 60 years ago, we all remember it well; I remember getting between 7 and 8 pesos per dollar when I first visited Argentina, I don't even have to check the historic blue exchange rate, I just remember it as it was the first country I visited with a forex black market.
In a country that continuously elects Peronist governments, and ones that include Cristina Kirchner, there are obviously plenty of people to fool.

It always kills me when people who are from countries that elected Trump and/or Truss think they are morally superior to a country that elected Kirshners.
I am not an Argentine Citizen, but if I was I would have voted for Cristina, and would probably vote for her in the future.

It always kills me when people who are from countries that elected Trump and/or Truss think they are morally superior to a country that elected Kirshners.
I am not an Argentine Citizen, but if I was I would have voted for Cristina, and would probably vote for her in the future.
Do you know me? I'm dismayed and amazed by my fellow citizens that voted for Trump. But I guess as someone who would have voted for Cristina, I can imagine how you think.

trump was a one time failure. these morons have been in control for decades.

Back