Foreign credit cards purchases at MEP rate

No Amex refund since March 13th, and no MEP refund for purchasing in ARS outside Argentina.
It might be important to note that there has only been one report of AMEX allowing the discounted rate. I have seen zero news that AMEX is on board with VISA and Mastercard.

I was nervous making a major purchase, but it appears to be working out.

I helped an Argentinan friend buy a plane ticket. I used a US issued Capital One Master Card. The reservation was in ARS pesos, and I am in BA so bought it online from Argentina, first posting to my account at approx $3400 USD and 5 days later a credit of $1500. That is not a great exchange rate, but at least we were able to get the flight.

I was concerned that a purchase on a foreign airline in ARS pesos wold not be adjusted to the MEP rate. I called Capital One and Mastercard over the weekend, wasting hours, and none of the agents had any idea what I was talking about.

Ultimately good, since buying plane tickets with a CC makes a big difference. It was stressful, I should have made my first purchase a coffee.

I helped an Argentinan friend buy a plane ticket. I used a US issued Capital One Master Card. The reservation was in ARS pesos, and I am in BA so bought it online from Argentina, first posting to my account at approx $3400 USD and 5 days later a credit of $1500. That is not a great exchange rate, but at least we were able to get the flight.

I was concerned that a purchase on a foreign airline in ARS pesos wold not be adjusted to the MEP rate. I called Capital One and Mastercard over the weekend, wasting hours, and none of the agents had any idea what I was talking about.

Ultimately good, since buying plane tickets with a CC makes a big difference. It was stressful, I should have made my first purchase a coffee.
Can you name the airline that you used?

Question for the billing address did you put Argentina? Because in jetsmart for example if you put any other country as a billing address it charges you in usd. Aerolíneas argentina does the same I think

Question for the billing address did you put Argentina? Because in jetsmart for example if you put any other country as a billing address it charges you in usd. Aerolíneas argentina does the same I think
That was the kind of thing I was worried about.

My friend made the reservation on his account with Emirates and sent me his login info. I logged in as him and paid using my card, so that would be his local address as passenger and my US address as billing. I called Emirates and Capital One before to verify I could do this. Emirtaes had no idea what I was asking, the Capital One agent said I would qualify for the tourist dollar conversion.

For this ticket, Emirates had a $300 cancelation fee so I figured worst case I would lose $300.

Edit: The ticket was priced in ARS in the Emirates check-out

My friend made the reservation on his account with Emirates and sent me his login info. I logged in as him and paid using my card, so that would be his local address as passenger and my US address as billing. I called Emirates and Capital One before to verify I could do this. Emirtaes had no idea what I was asking, the Capital One agent said I would qualify for the tourist dollar conversion.

For this ticket, Emirates had a $300 cancelation fee so I figured worst case I would lose $300.

so you put a us billing address then?

For Master Card, as long as the charge is in ARS and charged with a merchant processor within Argentina, it will get the MEP rate I think.
Did your Capital One purchase detail have something like CAPITAL FEDER, 001 C1205BCA ARG?

JetSmart and Aerolineas you just need to select Argentina and it will charge you in ARS in AR so you will get the rate.

For Master Card, as long as the charge is in ARS and charged with a merchant processor within Argentina, it will get the MEP rate I think.
Did your Capital One purchase detail have something like CAPITAL FEDER, 001 C1205BCA ARG?

JetSmart and Aerolineas you just need to select Argentina and it will charge you in ARS in AR so you will get the rate.

Yes, it was this

CAPITAL FEDER 001 C1008BAA ARG

Back